Lip balm issues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anno

Reaction score
Hey there! I need some help!
I’ve been making lip balm for years, the same recipe every time: 1/4c coconut oil, 1/4c unscented coco butter and 1/4c beeswax and then essential oils. Over the past year i can seem to get it it emulsify properly. The top is usually fine: that nice creamy pale yellow colour, but the right under that it’s oily and slightly grainy and not completely solid. I have been trying for two years to fix it snd it always turns out the same. I’ve tried decreasing temps (not sure if I’m doing that right), I’ve tried putting in less essential oils, adding more beeswax (I’ve been using wax straight from the hive, that’s been cleaned, could this be my issue?).
Either way I’m stuck and frustrated and wish my lip balms were back to the amazingness they used to be. Please help!
41BE2322-B393-4499-9F95-F6CF784CC6F6.jpeg

1/4c coconut oil, 1/4c unscented coco butter and 1/4c beeswax and then essential oils. Over the past year i can seem to get it it emulsify properly. The top is usually fine: that nice creamy pale yellow colour, but the right under that it’s oily and slightly grainy and not completely solid.
25% coconut oil
25% coco butter
25% beeswax

So that leaves 25% EOs??? If so, that's why your batch is separating. ;)

Graininess is usually from the beeswax. You mentioned you are using it straight from the hive; is that different from what you used when you had good results? If so, try going back to the former stuff, or try refining your current beeswax more thoroughly.

Also, what EOs are you using, including the brand? How old are they, and how were they stored? EOs go rancid pretty quickly under poor storage conditions, and some do so even when stored well.

Have yet to make lip balms. (Ordered tubes last week) So, I am not much help. Sorry.
What percentage was you EO, s??
I put in about 50 drops which is 1.3% of total amount. Should be within proper standards
Graininess is usually from the beeswax. You mentioned you are using it straight from the hive; is that different from what you used when you had good results? If so, try going back to the former stuff, or try refining your current beeswax more thoroughly.

Also, what EOs are you using, including the brand? How old are they, and how were they stored? EOs go rancid pretty quickly under poor storage conditions, and some do so even when stored well.
i am using essential oils from the wholesalers in my city. I store them in a dark cool place

Isn’t it 33%, 33%, 33% and 1% = 100%?
Oopsie! Sorry about that! :oops:
I'm used to using weight, not volume. Total weight = 100%
For accuracy/consistency from batch to batch, and ability to easily up-size or down-size, i advise using weight 100g = 100%

2 years is a long time for trying to correct an issue. :( So, equal parts coconut oil, cocoa butter & beeswax needs to be heated up to just over the melting point of the beeswax, mixed thoroughly for one full minute, and then cooled quickly (fridge for an hour) to prevent graininess. Once cooled, the batch can be reheated to 160°F (the max. temp for my lip balm tubes. YMMV), add EO, stir thoroughly, and pour.

i am using essential oils from the wholesalers in my city. I store them in a dark cool place.
Try making 100g batch without adding the EO to eliminate that as the problem. Some "wholesalers" are known to sell adulterated oils. :eek:

I use beeswax from my hives to make lip balm and salve, and they're always nice and smooth. But I don't use shea because I know the nut butters can become grainy if the melted balm or salve is not cooled fast enough.

Nut butters can also become grainy over time even if they start out smooth, as the balm repeatedly warms and cools slightly. This will happen if the balm is put in a warm pants pocket, then in a purse or drawer or other cooler place, etc. Shea is a major culprit, but not the only one.

We were just discussing this issue in this thread: successful first time lip balm!

Last edited:
Oopsie! Sorry about that! :oops:
I'm used to using weight, not volume. Total weight = 100%
For accuracy/consistency from batch to batch, and ability to easily up-size or down-size, i advise using weight 100g = 100%

2 years is a long time for trying to correct an issue. :( So, equal parts coconut oil, cocoa butter & beeswax needs to be heated up to just over the melting point of the beeswax, mixed thoroughly for one full minute, and then cooled quickly (fridge for an hour) to prevent graininess. Once cooled, the batch can be reheated to 160°F (the max. temp for my lip balm tubes. YMMV), add EO, stir thoroughly, and pour.

Try making 100g batch without adding the EO to eliminate that as the problem. Some "wholesalers" are known to sell adulterated oils. :eek:
What are adulterated oils??

I use beeswax from my hives to make lip balm and salve, and they're always nice and smooth. But I don't use shea because I know the nut butters can become grainy if the melted balm or salve is not cooled fast enough.

Nut butters can also become grainy over time even if they start out smooth, as the balm repeatedly warms and cools slightly. This will happen if the balm is put in a warm pants pocket, then in a purse or drawer or other cooler place, etc. Shea is a major culprit, but not the only one.

We were just discussing this issue in this thread: successful first time lip balm!
Thank you! I will check it out!

Try using candelilla wax. It works well for me. I don't use beeswax because if someone is allergic to bees, they will be allergic to the wax. Plus, candelilla wax stands up well to our summertime heat and humidity.

She is using cocoa butter not Shea. Could that be the culprit?

Cocoa butter and shea are both nut butters. Either one could be the culprit; that's why I talked about "nut butters" in general rather than blame shea alone.

I put in about 50 drops which is 1.3% of total amount. Should be within proper standards
1.3 % is quite a lot for a lip balm. 0.5% is absolutely enough.
Something that works amazingly for me is 20% wax ( which ever preferred), 79,5% oils (no butters, if I was to use butters I would do 10% wax, 10% butter) and 0,5% EO.

Try using candelilla wax. It works well for me. I don't use beeswax because if someone is allergic to bees, they will be allergic to the wax. Plus, candelilla wax stands up well to our summertime heat and humidity.

By this logic, no one should use coconut since I'm allergic to it.🧐 Best practice is to label everything in big friendly letters so we can avoid the stuff we react to.😉

You do have a point in the southern US, and other areas of the world where africanized (killer) bees have over taken the European honey bee colonies. The bees are more argressive and it would increase the chances of proteins from the bee venom contaminating the wax.

In other parts of the world where we're still able to use Itallian or European Honey Bees, the risk can be lowered by beekeeping practices like replacing aggressive queens with more docile stock, using queen excluders, and staying calm while you work the bees so you get stung less.

There's even a few rare beekeepers who don't wear gloves when they work their hives. My father is one of them. He finds the bees react to the trace amount of venom (or possibly the alarm pheromone?) left on them and they rally to attack. (One again, we are far enough north that these are not Africanized Bees.) Every once in a while he grabs a frame of honey comb and doesn't realize he's squishing a bee, and she stings him😜.

By this logic, no one should use coconut since I'm allergic to it.🧐 Best practice is to label everything in big friendly letters so we can avoid the stuff we react to.😉
Right on! :thumbs: :thumbs:

I think you can make yourself crazy trying to eliminate everything that "someone out there might be allergic to". The responsibility falls on the consumer to avoid whatever they are alergic to. Ingredient lists should clearly list every item used and be easy to read. I don't use INCI nomenclature for that reason. But that's just me. I'm not recommending that anyone else do that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back