Duping Burt's Bees Orange Flower Pistachio lip butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son is requesting a lip balm like the one in the thread title. I love making lotion bars but this looks more involved and I'll have to do some research in the Forum, etc. My main question, though, is I do not see 'pistachio' anywhere in the ingredients. It does list 'natural flavor' whatever that is. Let me know if you have any idea on the pistachio flavor. Thanks. The ingredients are
Ingredients: Caprylic/capric triglyceride, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, C10-18 triglycerides, polyhydroxystearic acid, glycerin, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl stearate, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, theobroma grandiflorum seed butter, aroma [flavor]*, hydrogenated castor oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, cera alba [beeswax], pistacia vera seed oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) flower extract, citrus limon (lemon) fruit extract, hibiscus rosa-sinensis flower extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, rebaudioside A, citric acid, citral, citrolnellol, geraniol, limonene, linalool *aroma naturel / natural flavor

Oh interesting! So is pistachio part of the flavor, or it is just orange blossom flavor? I was thinking you'd get both and mix them. It hadn't occurred to me that the pistachio was just one of the balm oils, and perhaps not for flavor.

Thanks! Gotta find my Latin dictionary I guess.
nah
while latin (or greek) is helpful when it comes to plant names
it is easiest to look in the ingredient list for the first three or four letters of your word
you will often find a match

looking for "pist" ;) ...
... got a 6 letter match (pistachio/pistacia)
(tl;dr latin trivia - vera means first or original in this context, so an interpretation of the latin name "pistacia vera seed oil" could be read as ... "real pistachio nut oil" 🙃

the lip balm sounds like it will smell and feel very nice

good luck on your new venture Zing :thumbs:

People,
I've been researching these ingredients. Some of the terms I understand, other ingredients sound like a chem lab. Can I make a lip butter with
coconut oil
sunflower seed oil
cocoa butter
Cupuacu butter
castor wax
shea butter
beeswax
pistachio seed oil
orange flower extract
lemon extract
hibiscus extract
safflower seed oil
Stevia
?
The original ingredients are:
Caprylic/capric triglyceride, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, C10-18 triglycerides, polyhydroxystearic acid, glycerin, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl stearate, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, theobroma grandiflorum seed butter, aroma [flavor]*, hydrogenated castor oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, cera alba [beeswax], pistacia vera seed oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) flower extract, citrus limon (lemon) fruit extract, hibiscus rosa-sinensis flower extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, rebaudioside A, citric acid, citral, citrolnellol, geraniol, limonene, linalool *aroma naturel / natural flavor

People,
I've been researching these ingredients. Some of the terms I understand, other ingredients sound like a chem lab. Can I make a lip butter with
coconut oil
sunflower seed oil
cocoa butter
Cupuacu butter
castor wax
shea butter
beeswax
pistachio seed oil
orange flower extract
lemon extract
hibiscus extract
safflower seed oil
Stevia
?
The original ingredients are:
Caprylic/capric triglyceride, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, C10-18 triglycerides, polyhydroxystearic acid, glycerin, glyceryl behenate, glyceryl stearate, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, theobroma grandiflorum seed butter, aroma [flavor]*, hydrogenated castor oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, cera alba [beeswax], pistacia vera seed oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) flower extract, citrus limon (lemon) fruit extract, hibiscus rosa-sinensis flower extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) seed oil, rebaudioside A, citric acid, citral, citrolnellol, geraniol, limonene, linalool *aroma naturel / natural flavor
It seems you would be better off using fractionated MCT coconut oil for the first ingredient, since that seems to be the equivalent to what they list first, so it should be what the formulation has the most of, and perhaps you can include glycerin as well as it is a humectant and it is in the first 5 ingredients. Make your own sells some of the weird sounding ingredients (like glyceryl stearate) if you wanted to make a closer version. However, since this is commercial lip balm made with cheaper ingredients, there is no harm in trying the recipe you have above first. Here is a video I found helpful when I was trying to dupe a conditioner:
and this blog post of hers also gives good pointers: Tips on Creating Your Own DIY Recipes - Humblebee & Me

It seems you would be better off using fractionated MCT coconut oil for the first ingredient, since that seems to be the equivalent to what they list first, so it should be what the formulation has the most of, and perhaps you can include glycerin as well as it is a humectant and it is in the first 5 ingredients. Make your own sells some of the weird sounding ingredients (like glyceryl stearate) if you wanted to make a closer version. However, since this is commercial lip balm made with cheaper ingredients, there is no harm in trying the recipe you have above first. Here is a video I found helpful when I was trying to dupe a conditioner:
and this blog post of hers also gives good pointers: Tips on Creating Your Own DIY Recipes - Humblebee & Me

Wow, thanks a bunch! I'm diving right in!

It seems you would be better off using fractionated MCT coconut oil for the first ingredient,
MCT - Medium chain triglyceride - Available at Costco - Popular added to AM coffee to lose weight among other things... like improving memory. ;)

Caprylic/capric triglyceride (CCT) = Fractionated Coconut Oil
Right up there with meadowfoam oil - emolient; long shelf life; lovely feel on the skin.

Sourcing all those ingredients is going to be a challenge. Ingredients to Die For (CCT link) may be a good starting point. Plus they are known for helping customers to formulate products. ;)

Stevia rebaudiana extract - plant-based sweetener. I use it to sweeten my lip balms. I buy Sweetleaf Stevia Extract fine white powder at the grocery store. A little goes a long way. Dissolves easily in warmed sunflower oil.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back