EOs before lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longlasting

Reaction score
Has anyone in this forum ever put lye before EO's..What can happen to my CP batch of all vegetable base oils if I put all may EO's before the lye. Thank you

Hello! I put my EO's and FO's in the melted oils and fats before adding the lye solution. For me, adding everything prevents a major mistake of forgetting to add. I used to wait to add my fragrances after mixing in the lye solution. Everything mixed well, poured well into the mold and then....I would look at the cup of fragrance oils sitting next to the pot. Ahhhhhh!!!!! After reading many accounts that adding your scents before the lye solution makes little difference I decided to add everything to the pot now.

A word of caution though, I never had too much of a problem with EO's but with some FO's (like florals and spices) the soap batter can quickly seize or rice so you have to plan ahead of time to quickly mix or avoid those fragrances altogether. Adding before the lye solution you can thoroughly mix everything together, add the lye solution and if it begins to act up - mix as fast as you can and pour. By adding after the lye solution you may not have enough time to mix the fragrance thoroughly in the batter. Well, that was how it worked for me.

Sorry for the very long answer to your short, direct question Longlasting! Get me started on an answer and who knows when I might end. :yawn:

Hello! I put my EO's and FO's in the melted oils and fats before adding the lye solution. For me, adding everything prevents a major mistake of forgetting to add. I used to wait to add my fragrances after mixing in the lye solution. Everything mixed well, poured well into the mold and then....I would look at the cup of fragrance oils sitting next to the pot. Ahhhhhh!!!!! After reading many accounts that adding your scents before the lye solution makes little difference I decided to add everything to the pot now.

A word of caution though, I never had too much of a problem with EO's but with some FO's (like florals and spices) the soap batter can quickly seize or rice so you have to plan ahead of time to quickly mix or avoid those fragrances altogether. Adding before the lye solution you can thoroughly mix everything together, add the lye solution and if it begins to act up - mix as fast as you can and pour. By adding after the lye solution you may not have enough time to mix the fragrance thoroughly in the batter. Well, that was how it worked for me.

Sorry for the very long answer to your short, direct question Longlasting! Get me started on an answer and who knows when I might end. :yawn:

I have left the fo/eo out number of times... and ended up with a beautiful swirled unscented soap...

SO yes I also add all the FO/EO prior to lye and never had problems

I heard adding eo/fo to the oils first mixing with oils instead of adding to Safonated oil/ lye in progress is better on the eo/fo don't now how true that is any thoughts

rob

I haven't heard that it is better for the fragrance but it does ensure that you don't forget to add it..

I set my FO in my mold so I don't forget to add it.

Good idea!!!! although I'm sure I'd somehow mess it up and pour my soup right in the mold WITH the bottle of FO in there.... LOL :oops:

Back