Envious, jealous & (a little) frustrated.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why Lush does handmade soap with SLS.. just doesn't make sense to me and sounds like an oxymoron.
Soaptopia has ingredients that make up CP (do you really use Palm oil i M&P? I haven't) but has no Lye or saponified oils. And that rainbow one just screams M&P.
Anyone know for sure what it is?

Sounds like they are maybe not labeling correctly or using more scent then they should? Even when I scent my M&P like it should be it's never super strong.

All natural is a stretch from the looks of those. As beautiful as they are, they are not entirely natural. I have yet to see truly all natural soap with colouring and transparency like those on that site. They're failing to list the colourants used. It's a shame the masses won't realize the wool is being pulled over their eyes.

Probably the easiest way to determine if they are melt and pour is to melt one (or part of one since you said you purchased some) down. A melt and pour will melt easily - cold process, not so much.

Also, SFIC will custom make melt and pour soap for you.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1377822546.202309.jpg this was a good idea! So I took the Soaptopia bar of Rozilla and cut a corner off of the bottom and put it in the microwave. After about 15 seconds it started foaming up and I stopped it at 20. It got cloudy and gummy.. Not pretty, and not at all like M&P.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1377822725.744597.jpg so them I sliced off of just the top and after 5 seconds it melted down smoothly! So I think it is as I suspected. The main body is CP while the top and inner swirls are M&P ... What I know for sure is that my kitchen smells HEAVENLY. I mean just really really HEAVENLY.. Roses and vanilla, it's amazing and I wish you all were here haha! And it lathers perfectly.. I'm jealous of whatever she does.

That was my first thought - a combination of CP and melt and pour for some, straight melt and pour for others (like the rainbow looking one). I have a few bars that I add melt and pour components to the tops of them for decoration.

I don't understand why Lush does handmade soap with SLS.. just doesn't make sense to me and sounds like an oxymoron.
Soaptopia has ingredients that make up CP (do you really use Palm oil i M&P? I haven't) but has no Lye or saponified oils. And that rainbow one just screams M&P.
Anyone know for sure what it is?

Sounds like they are maybe not labeling correctly or using more scent then they should? Even when I scent my M&P like it should be it's never super strong.

At the very least I agree it has added coloring. What else would create this bright red/pink?

Looks like glycerine soap to me. They're cagey about their ingredients, so hard to tell if they're a formulated M&P base or handmade. I'd be brave and ask! They are pretty, and I do agree that scents tend to really stick in glycerine soaps. Don't give up! Your soaps will be unique and different from theirs!

I can't really stand Lush products. it's SO pungent. the smell stays in my nostrils for hours, and it drives me insane. it doesn't smell very natural either..... I like my soaps smelling like real things!

I can't really stand Lush products. it's SO pungent. the smell stays in my nostrils for hours, and it drives me insane. it doesn't smell very natural either..... I like my soaps smelling like real things!

I agree. These are MUCH better than lush fir sure. And I agree that her ingredient list is suspect. Her fragrances are beautiful tho and natural.. I'd love to know exactly what they are. Oh well.. Something to work toward!☺

Honey I Washed The Kids is LUSH's most popular scent and to me it smells horrible!! to each his/her own, of course. I like to scent as lightly as I can get away with, since we are bombarded with artificial fragrances from everything we touch these days :(

Honey I Washed The Kids is LUSH's most popular scent and to me it smells horrible!! to each his/her own, of course. I like to scent as lightly as I can get away with, since we are bombarded with artificial fragrances from everything we touch these days :(

You'd love my soap then.. I can't get anything to stay scented!

To me, they don't. ;) Compare them to Lush soap.

http://www.lushusa.com/Soap/soap,en_US,sc.html

:p I can't take people who are making soap with love listed as an ingredient instead of providing a proper inci seriously anyway.
The "natural" "handmade" and "small batches" are a direct copy of Lush's advertising too.

I've been looking all over the lush website. Where does this copy it? Isn't what we do (home soapers) small batch, handmade and natural?

I can't seem to get my EOs to really come through that strongly in soap either.

If I cool my lye before adding it to the oils, that seems to help a bit by not going over the flashpoint of the EO. And adding EO just seconds before pouring helps.

As a experiment just to see what happens, I made some hot process soap, and WOW did that make a difference with the EO.

But the hot process was so time consuming, I decided to just go back to CP.

Its possible they are doing unscented cold process soap, then rebatching and adding EO.

- P

I can't seem to get my EOs to really come through that strongly in soap either.

If I cool my lye before adding it to the oils, that seems to help a bit by not going over the flashpoint of the EO. And adding EO just seconds before pouring helps.

As a experiment just to see what happens, I made some hot process soap, and WOW did that make a difference with the EO.

But the hot process was so time consuming, I decided to just go back to CP.

Its possible they are doing unscented cold process soap, then rebatching and adding EO.

- P

It's all a possibility! if that's the case I would love to know then, how they get the rebatched soap so smooth and silky. So much to learn..

After the melt test it seems that one was a combo of both. Likely they do two kinds because I just don't see how a few of them are CP. Again that rainbow bar is just so perfect. Could do if you set each layer I guess but IDK.. others seem to look like M&P too.

Guess at the end of the day if the ingredients list is honest and it makes for a nice bar.. who really cares what it is? :)

Several months back, this store was advertising CP soap making in their studio at their store. They also had an EO class. I was going to take a class last year, but missed it. I do think their soaps mix CP and melt & pour, but they don't mention it anywhere.

Hmm...anyone who claims to be using really high end eo's like jasmine and rose to scent their soaps and then not marking those soaps up appropriately...well that screams FO and a seller who is either lying about their ingredients, doesn't know the difference, or is cheating themselves out of a fair profit. The lack of full ingredient lists always makes me suspicious.

Maybe I'm just paranoid ;-)

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

How are they getting a natural vanilla that doesn't discolor and is strong enough to withstand the saponification process? Is there a way to test for synthetic fragrance?

Latest posts

Back