Envious, jealous & (a little) frustrated.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 3437 It got cloudy and gummy.. Not pretty, and not at all like M&P.

:p Not like cp either.

The Lush base is kind of 'in between'.

The new base she has created combines sunflower oil, rapeseed oil and coconut oil with sodium hydroxide and water, mixed together and boiled to accelerate the saponification process. Salt is added to separate the soap from the mixture, and the finished soap is then extruded to produce "dry noodles".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/30/lucy-siegle-innovator-lush-cosmetics-war-palm-oil

She's marketing her soap as just soap. This avoids having too disclose the ingredients. Giving only half a list is clearly misleading to customers. Probably clever for the short term; but not something to be jealous of.

How are they getting a natural vanilla that doesn't discolor and is strong enough to withstand the saponification process? Is there a way to test for synthetic fragrance?

Not unless you want to spend big bucks on someone else's product. And synthetic fragrance components are added to the bulk of EO's too.

The "natural" non discoloring vanilla can't be. There's no way around but vanilla stabilizers and that's not what I consider to be natural. It could be natural vanilla of course, just that the rest is not.
But I don't think so, by the strength of the scents.
I don't consider handmade soap with NaOH or KOH, or any soap base natural anyway.
"Handmade" and "natural" are very much subjective.

Last edited:
There is a way to do a natural vanilla-like note that doesn't discolor, at least in a blend. Peru Balsam or Benzoin come close, both also act as fairly strong fixatives. But they're also common skin sensitizers so not always the best choice for that elusive CP stable vanilla-like scent.

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

Do not waste your time envying this site. I looked it over and I am very skeptical about many of the claims.

First, most of the soaps are pretty ordinary looking, perfectly respectable soap but nothing to sigh over.

I will never ever buy soap from anybody who lists "love" as an ingredient. Ick

I am pretty sure that this person uses a variety of premade bases - some transparent and some which resemble CP or mixes M&P for decoration and uses CP for the balance (as others have already commented).

However, a soap that includes transparent soap topping cannot be represented as "alcohol free" to the best of my knowledge as transparent M&P typically contains some sort of alcohol. (I don't do M&P so I may be wrong here)

There is no such thing as coconut essential oil as described here. Busted!

http://soaptopia.com/inc/sdetail/132/35634

To the best of my knowledge real vanilla (she claims she uses Madagascar vanilla in one of the descriptions) will brown soap. If she's using a stabilizer there goes her "all natural" claims.

There's a yuzu soap - anybody ever price yuzu EO? It costs the earth. She doesn't say that she uses yuzu EO but it's implied.

No way those colors are natural. Neon pink and blue do not appear in nature.

Personally, overly scented soaps give me a headache. I agree with the earlier post about solid perfume or perfume oils scented with EOs as a viable alternative to having that scent linger on the skin after bathing.

Conclusion: be proud of your own soap. There are some soapmakers whose work I greatly admire. They don't make false claims and their soaps are genuine works of art.

Rant over. :)

To the best of my knowledge real vanilla (she claims she uses Madagascar vanilla in one of the descriptions) will brown soap. If she's using a stabilizer there goes her "all natural" claims.

The other site stated vanilla "essential oil" :p Absolute or, more likely, oleoresin I guess.
As far as I know those are chemically extracted.

This might sound like a very dumb question, but what exactly is oleoresin and how is it different from essential oil or absolute?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Do not waste your time envying this site. I looked it over and I am very skeptical about many of the claims.

First, most of the soaps are pretty ordinary looking, perfectly respectable soap but nothing to sigh over.

I will never ever buy soap from anybody who lists "love" as an ingredient. Ick

I am pretty sure that this person uses a variety of premade bases - some transparent and some which resemble CP or mixes M&P for decoration and uses CP for the balance (as others have already commented).

However, a soap that includes transparent soap topping cannot be represented as "alcohol free" to the best of my knowledge as transparent M&P typically contains some sort of alcohol. (I don't do M&P so I may be wrong here)

There is no such thing as coconut essential oil as described here. Busted!

http://soaptopia.com/inc/sdetail/132/35634

There's a yuzu soap - anybody ever price yuzu EO? It costs the earth. She doesn't say that she uses yuzu EO but it's implied.

No way those colors are natural. Neon pink and blue do not appear in nature.

Personally, overly scented soaps give me a headache. I agree with the earlier post about solid perfume or perfume oils scented with EOs as a viable alternative to having that scent linger on the skin after bathing.

Conclusion: be proud of your own soap. There are some soapmakers whose work I greatly admire. They don't make false claims and their soaps are genuine works of art.

Rant over. :)

Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

The other site stated vanilla "essential oil" :p Absolute or, more likely, oleoresin I guess.
As far as I know those are chemically extracted.

I have a tiny bottle of vanilla oleoresin.. It cost $17 for 1 dram. There is no way I could afford enough to put that into my soaps. Can you imagine? I'd have to charge my friends twenty dollars a bar haha! It smells wonderful though!

Soaptopia was my 1st introduction to hand made soaps. I took my 1st soaping class from them. Their shop smells amazing! She has literally racks of EOs and barrels of base oils in the back, soapers heaven!

Soaptopia was my 1st introduction to hand made soaps. I took my 1st soaping class from them. Their shop smells amazing! She has literally racks of EOs and barrels of base oils in the back, soapers heaven!

I was there today. It's just an amazing shop and I love that you can see them making the products. I could stay there for hours! If I had a store that's just how I'd want it to be.

I stopped in there today with my mil; it is a fun store and I picked her brain. She was honest and very sweet. They make cold process soap and use a purchased natural glycerin base for the accent. They use natural essential oil (though I forgot to ask about Jasmine, it was only available in tiny hearts at $3 per. ) They just opened their sixth store in Japan but they still make everything in their Venice location. I wandered their soap kitchen and left them my own sample (peppermint castile). She was very receptive to another soaper visiting and we talked shop.

All in all, my feeling was that she is legit. :) of course, she's had a successful business for 11 years, so I doubt she needs my approval regardless!

Latest posts

Back