Eminence sugar scrubs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neve

Reaction score
I was toying with the idea of making sugar scrubs for fun and I've been reading about the need for preservatives.

I have a lovely eminence scrub and I don't see anything in the ingredients that might be a preservative. It does have an antioxidant I guess. My husband who got me the scrub and has done the eminence training tells me the rep said the ingredients were natural preservatives. Having read today that there is no such thing I'm a little confused. Also one of the ingredients is water.

http://us.eminenceorganics.com/Pear-Green-Apple-Sugar-Scrub_p_127.html

Unlike the recent lush thread this is a product that sits is the shower and lasts for months. Scratching my head.

If I was to make myself scrubs in small quantities without a preservative how long might I expect is to last? Since I am immunosuppressed I can't take any chances. Is rather a preservative than an infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Don't.
Although this just states "key ingredients", I looked up the inci of their scrub. It's not the same scent, but it doesn't list any preservative either.

Raw Sugar Cane Granules, Virgin Coconut Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Shredded Coconut Pulp, Comfrey Root Extract, Cucumber Juice, Gingko Biloba Leaf, Rosemary Extract, St. John's Wort, Calendula Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Biocomplex (Vitamins A-C-E, Coenzyme Q10, Evening Primrose Oil), Coconut Essential Oil

If this was true, it would make an excellent place for bacteria and fungi to grow. I guess they are just not providing a full inci; but if it is true, I wouldn't dream of using it.
By the looks of it, I'd say they left the emulsifier out too. :p And there's no such thing as coconut essential oil.

An unpreserved scrub containing or getting in touch with water wouldn't last longer than a couple of days.

It can take a long time to actually see nasties grow, they are present far before that stage.

I agree with Dagmar. I personally wouldn't risk it. I dont' think it would be safe for you to use without being completely sure about the preservative.

Is it legal to leave out ingredients? I'll post the label when I get home. It actually list thermal spring water... sugar and oils.

And of course I stick a wet hand in it in the shower :)

This is a luxury spa brand. I can't help thinking they might be leaving something out.

Is it legal to leave out ingredients? I'll post the label when I get home. It actually list thermal spring water... sugar and oils.

And of course I stick a wet hand in it in the shower :)

This is a luxury spa brand. I can't help thinking they might be leaving something out.

No, it's not legal. And the FDA isn't too happy with cosmetics containing comfrey either.
;-) Try mixing water, oil and sugar to make sugar scrub. You'll see they HAVE to leave stuff out.

For yourself how about just making up a little dish of sugar and oil for the shower? (single use) I do a body scrub like that maybe once a month. I even use a scrub on my face using super fine sugar that I sprinkle on a cotton square with a face cream once a month.

Regular sugar scrubs are fairly easy to make, emulsified scrubs take extra ingredients. You can find most of the extracts mentioned on the label at http://www.theherbarie.com/Botanical-Extracts-Oil-Soluble/ or http://www.lotioncrafter.com/lotioncrafter-premium-ingredients-botanical-extracts/. For a regular sugar scrub, I would probably use 1/2 grape seed oil and 1/4 each olive and sunflower oils. That is because I like light oils better than heavy oils like olive. Mix together oils and add the extracts following supplier suggested usage rates, make sure you get oil soluble extracts. You can check out what each extract contributes and may be able to substitute. Then add in as much raw sugar as you want. For an emulsified srub, here is a recipe from a site I trust:

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2013/01/facial-scrubs-emulsified-scrubs.html

Phenonip is the preservative I use for oil based products.

If you make small batches of scrub, say enough for 7 days and keep it refrigerated between uses, you may be able to eliminate the preservative. I wouldn't want to try any larger batch without a preservative.

I don't mind doing single use and very small amounts. That's what I'm doing with my kaolin face masks.

I am planning on picking up the Phenonip when I order my beeswax and cocoa butter. It seems like the one to get.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380566784.490695.jpgthis is the label. Is it possible there is enough sugar to preserve it ?

no, sugar, would not preserve it.. I make a sugar scrub it does not have water in it but I do use a preservative. I would strongly suspect this company is too, and not putting it on the ingredient list..

Back