Easy to make wood mold.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I credit Seawolfes idea on L brackets. It's what led to the braces.

I'm working on a design along these lines to produce a 12 and 24 lb mold. I'll post it if I build one or the need for one pops up on the forum. I doubt I'll be needing to do more than 3 lb pours in the next 6 months or so.

one vote for the 24lb mold. :wave:

one vote for the 24lb mold. :wave:

Go to page 6. I built one last weekend. :) Pics and directions are posted.

If you make the lengths and bottom at 22.25 inches, it will produce up to the 24lb at a time and should still fit in a regular oven.

Last edited:
attachment.php

/me screams and waves grabby paws

Oh you are CRUEL!!

In penance you must post pics of the soap in the mold, unmolded AND cut pics.

And whats holding the bottom up? Metal tab? Show me da bottom pics!!

Oh you are CRUEL!!

In penance you must post pics of the soap in the mold, unmolded AND cut pics.

And whats holding the bottom up? Metal tab? Show me da bottom pics!!

Hmmm, well it's full of soap and in the oven right now, so I think it'd make a mess if I turned it over. :) Yes, metal tabs on the bottom, like the original mold. I'll take some pics as soon as I pull it out of the oven...Still has 30 to 45 mins to go.

Loaf pic and cut bars, as requested.

Tall Oatmeal.jpg
Tall Oatmeal Bars.jpg

I made this batch with no colorants, since I was noticing lately that the "out of the mold" colors seemed a lot different since I switched oil suppliers. The base has more of a green tint at unmolding, yet fades out to a nuetral beige after a few days. You can see this around the edges already.

Also, Seawolfe, this was a 3 lb batch, 956.75 gr of oil. The tops didn't hold up in my CPOP experiement, but it wasn't because they hit the saran wrap. The finished bar is still at 4 inches tall and I had at least another inch before it would have hit the saran wrap.

I made my sides using a 1x6.

Hope that helps with your construction.

Yes indeed he did a great job. He have the planer to make wood smooth too. It helps. my inside is 21 cm (I am metric one) long , 8 high and 7.8 wide. 16.5" long\31/4"Wide/3.8"H
With full water in SCalc it is usually 76.54 oz so should be 16 bars:)
Seawolfe and Justbeachy thank you for inspiration , you are the best !!!!

Last edited:
Ok I have decided on the final size for my new wood mold: 2 x 6 x 18 to make a loaf 2 x 4 x 18 and a little over 5 lbs - but more importantly 18 bars!! or 9 cubes if I only fill to 2"! Or I can put a divider in the middle and do both!!

I have my all-thread cut. I have decided to do my ends with bolts like SMR's - because I love my mold from them, and it will be easier to line the mold to my tiny mind.
wooden-soap-mold-2-pounder.jpg

I think the easy way is to use 1 x 4 x 18 for the bottom and 1 x 6 x 18 for the sides. The sides will sit on top of the bottom piece to make the ID 2" wide. Use L brackets to permanently attach the sides to the bottom, and embed the all thread bolts sticking out of the ends of the side pieces, to go through the end pieces so that the end pieces attach with wingnuts in the picture above. I know this way won't let me easily make slots to cut bars with like the SMR one above, but I can use my other mold for that.

And I personally blame this thread on the fact that hubby and I are going to home depot after work to pick up this after work:
fe59fb98-4522-41f3-9f45-c8b34bf32131_400.jpg

I expressed an interest in one, and hubby pointed out that he could use one for the wooden skiff he is rebuilding....
(I dont want to talk about the 20V Dewalt drill I have my eye one, nor the random orbital sander hubby is making puppy dog eyes at).
Enablers! All of you!!

Last edited:
I can hear it now....

Well we bought some framing guns as well, so we could build an addition to the house to store all the new molds I built. Then we decided, might as well build a soaping room while we're at it. (enable, enable, enable) :)

Seawolfe it is the best machine, we got one. He would not touch the wood without something precise:))

Well the funny part is, we were in Home Depot, and I was adamant that my mold HAD to be truly and exactly 2 inches wide. Hubby was blathering about the difficulty of doing that with just a skill saw, (work and the table saw are closed this week), and I put my foot down and said we weren't getting the compound saw if he couldn't figure it out! He figured it out, I'll post the pics later :smile:

Ok! Heres the pics of the new baby being built, and as she is now. She still needs a little sanding, and a 1 inch cutting slot made, but we WILL be making soap tomorrow. Its a true 2" wide and 18" long. If I fill to 4" high the loaf should be 5 lbs. I've made helper blocks that fit on the inside to help with lining - I am SO excited! Thanks everyone for all your help and inspiration :D Merry Christmas to me!!

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back