Easy to make wood mold.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i made a soap cutter but its not great
i dont have any power saws, so my cuts arent great so when its screwed together the sides are at a bit of a slant
and the cut slit is not 100% vertical...
it works, but i would recommend using a power saw to get better cuts
and dont use 1/2" plywood - its so thin its hard to screw the edges together

the wire cutter was harder to use than expected
for it to really work you would have to make a slit into the base at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch because the wire does not cut totally flat, it rounds a bit in the center because its not held as tight as it would be locked into a frame.
and you would want to raise it up higher so the counter is not in the way so your hands can go below the cut line
so i just use a plaster trowel to cut the soap

it looks ghetto, but it works good enough for now

cutter.jpg

I put that slit into my soap mold, but Im too lazy to put my long soap loaf back in the tall skinny mold without dinging it! But that's ok - I still use it as a guide for my knife, with the loaf NEXT to it :D

i can not cut straight to save my life
so this crappy cutter is working pretty well for me
its actually not that bad, im just a perfectionist
the only thing that doesnt work well is if i try to skim off a little off the end....it just pushes the loaf back....would have to cut off at least 1/4 inch for it to stay in place properly.

Jnl, good luck with making liners for the wood molds, if you can figure out a good way to do it and can mass produce you could probably have a good business, I will be your first customer. I keep trying to make them (have a bunch of no melt mylar, silicone baking sheets, various other things that I see and think (yes! liner material) on my to-do projects shelf. It is so fidgety and awful, and I am so bad at that kind of stuff, that I give up and use paper until the next time I have a hating paper liner fit.

Also, I have design notes/pics on an adjustable wire cutter made by a woman named Delsie (now deceased) that she was nice enough to post and that I think people really liked. It looks fairly easy to make if you are at all knacky, if you want me to send them to you in a pm or post let me know, they are longish so don't want to take up the space here.

I came across them when I was trying to find a used "Delsie" to buy, and still think I will probably pay a friend of mine to make one for me, it is just kind of cool/interesting and unlike other wire cutters I have seen because it allows you to cut the log at different heights (ie; long ways so that, eg, you can plane the whole thing, don't have to try to bisect a Taiwan swirled log evenly with a knife, which I suck at) as well as cut bars in different sizes, if that makes sense. But still easy to make, I would take a stab at it if I had a good saw.

Last edited:
ohhh yes
the plans for the wire cutter would be great! thanks!

i have guitar pegs on the way from china that i ordered months ago that still have not arrived.
when they come, i am going to figure out and make a fancy cutter!

if you go to aliexpress.com there are chinese manufacturers that will make custom silicon molds for pretty cheap and low minimum order quantities....
if i ever get into selling and need to make a bunch of soap then i will look into that
for now i am just using a tiny 1lb mold

jnl, hope this works. Got most of the text into a pm but it was hard to read, plus I couldn't figure out how to do attachments. The pics are hard to see, but you really need them to make sense of the notes. I am going to send the pm anyway just in case this doesn't download, plus I included my email so you can email me there, I know I can send all of this from there easily.

Ok, for some reason the text file will not load (it is rtf, not sure why that is a problem.) The pics are pretty rough looking, but the way it works is that you turn the log long ways if you want to plane/cut horizontally) or hold it vertically if you want to do bars. And the wires are easily adjustible so that you can change the height either way. Does that make sense?

Not a good cutter for someone who is mass producing but really good for someone like me, who wants adjustability but doesn't are about cutting tons of bars an hour.

cutter 1.jpg

cutter 2(1).jpg

Last edited:
so this one you stand the log up and run it across the bottom to slice a bar off?

got the instructions, i will read through them! thanks!

i get it
it seems like it would work best for slab molds to split into logs and trim
right now i just use a small loaf that needs a single cut for bars (edges not trimmed)
tho i do want to make a slab mold so i can do pretty designs on the face of the bar, not an edge!
from your description it sounds like you use a modified slab mold where your bars stand on there long ends - like a few log molds all stuck together.
if i ever needed to do larger quantities that would work better than pouring multiple individual logs if i want to trim the edges (less trimming waste).

I don't really want a cutter for planing, I don't make enough soap to have to worry about that (also love my planer/beveler, the Couer D'Alene one) if any one needs a recc'd. Although if anyone has one of the old Lotion Crafter bevelers that they want to sell - LC doesn't make them anymore - please let me know.

I really just want a truly adjustable mold. It seems like even the really good/expensive ones don't are not that flexible w/r/t cuts. Also one that would do a horizontal cut, which I haven't seen out there. I hope this makes sense, it is hard to describe visuals in words.

Also, jnl, I am so bad about trimming waste, I don't pay too much attention to off-cuts, I just use them as testers, give them away or throw them away. Since I don't sell it is easier to take the time to neaten things up, plus I like the way the bars feel in my hand. I know I should be less wasteful, though, I hate how many paper towels I use (which in my pre-soaping life I was super careful about wasting/using, and which people in my eco conscious family think are the work of the devil) since I started making soap. Topic for another day.

Last edited:
it makes sense. this is what you are doing:
2+Lining+Up+Soap+in+Log+Splitter.jpg

it seems that there are log cutters and there are bar cutters....this could do log, trim, and bar, tho standing up a log on its end to cut the bars would be a bit harder because you have to make sure the log is not tilted (and im a clutz).

i would probably make 2 - one for trimming and one for log splitting because i am too lazy to move the wire each time. LOL
and i am going to make a multi-bar cutter like this:
WIRECUTTER.jpg

i think the only cuts your cutter cant do is a cube mega loaf. this is what cuts multi-dimensional log arrays:
GRIDCUT2.JPG

i doubt i would ever need anything like that. even if i was selling lots of soap i dont think i would make THAT much soap at once....too heavy

Last edited:
I am dying to get a good table saw myself, will do so one of these days. Although I am such a klutz that it may result, if in not in death, potentially some missing digits :)

But about making good liner/cutters, I am serious. I think there is a gap in the market here, and you are clearly curious, thoughtful and inventive. Might be a good break from the day job, and then it could *become* your day job. I would love to have a soapy day job, though, maybe I am projecting.

Last edited:
i would much rather make soap or other hobbies than do my day job. but my day job pays pretty high, and i have total freedom to work whenever i want, and however much i feel like working (which is always much less than i SHOULD work). but i hate my day job.

there are plenty of people making custom wood molds/cutters
tho they are still more than i would ever pay
not as bad as from the soap suppliers tho

if you need a specific cutter/mold my friend has all the tools and is good with wood
hes now become obsessed with making soap too
lol

I feel so fortunate. My husband has made all my wooden molds (loaf and slab) as well as my log splitter and my wire multi bar cutters. I actually love my BB silicone liners, yes they are thin but they are so very easy to unmold my soap. My husband made my molds to house the liners and I have no rippling of the liners. As long as you take care of them they are fantastic. I've been using the same 12 liners for almost 2 years with no problems. I also have two of Nurture Soap supplies 7.5 lb liners and they are nice but almost too thick and a bit more difficulty to get the soaps out.

AWESOME MOLD! I love this mold because you have made it so versatile - Thank you!

How could I forget this thread:)
Hubby put the hardwood floors and he had left with a bit of maple long planks so he made for me similar (the same size) additional 5 molds. It is a relieve to sit down and line them all at once then have them ready ;)) I got a single soap cutter from someone in Canada and I am pretty happy with it, I do not make that much soap so I am ok with one wire;))

it makes sense. this is what you are doing:
2+Lining+Up+Soap+in+Log+Splitter.jpg

it seems that there are log cutters and there are bar cutters....this could do log, trim, and bar, tho standing up a log on its end to cut the bars would be a bit harder because you have to make sure the log is not tilted (and im a clutz).

i would probably make 2 - one for trimming and one for log splitting because i am too lazy to move the wire each time. LOL
and i am going to make a multi-bar cutter like this:
WIRECUTTER.jpg

i think the only cuts your cutter cant do is a cube mega loaf. this is what cuts multi-dimensional log arrays:
GRIDCUT2.JPG

i doubt i would ever need anything like that. even if i was selling lots of soap i dont think i would make THAT much soap at once....too heavy

Brilliant!!!!! I love making slabs but have never thought of a way to cut them evenly. Does this cut well in the middle of the slab?

BTW, i line my slabs using plastic Coro-plast sheets from Lowes in the yard sign area. You just cut half way through it with an exact to fold up the edges. Soap comes out clean as a whistle. If anyone’s interested I can post a pic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back