dumb question maybe but please help!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonna

Reaction score
I was just wondering what coconut oil should look like because I bought 20 LITRES of it and was just wondering what it should look like, colour and texture wise. Also another question...what should palm oil look like. I can't help but get the feeling that my order was mixed up and I've never ordered bulk and this is the first time I've EVER ordered palm oil so was just a bit curious :) Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi Vonna!

Not a dumb question! I STILL don't know what Palm oil looks like because I don't use it, lol. But I can help with the Coconut oil. It's generally what's called "Coconut 76" meaning it's in semi-solid (white/off-white) form until it reaches 76 degrees at which time it melts. If it's in a warm area, it can be mushy or slightly liquid. The larger the quantity, the longer it takes to change form from temperature... my little containers melt to goo on warm days, but my large 50 lb bucket of coconut oil stays solid until we get a real heat wave.

Hopefully somebody else will come by & help you out with the Palm oil question. :)

Well my 20 litre drum of coconut oil is completely liquid and has been since day one and it's brown like a vegetable oil thats been in a deep fryer for months. I don't think this is right at all. My palm oil came in a box and is a solid. I really don't know. Thanks for the input!!

Palm oil stays softly solid (kind of like ice cream in texture) on even very warm days. It is somewhat firmer (not rock hard) on cool days. It is creamier coloured than coconut oil in my experience. HTH!

Tanya :)

Thanks Tanya..yeah thats about what mine is but I'm still worried about the coconut oil. Should it be completely liquified and look dark brown??

Who did you order the coconut oil from? I'm just wondering if maybe it's one of the "other" kinds? There's coconut 76 (most common), coconut 92, fractionated coconut oil, and extra virgin coconut oil. I've only used coconut 76 in my soaping, fractionated coconut oil in my lotions/creams, so those are the only two versions I've ever seen & neither match the description of what you've got. :(

Gosh I hope this gets figured out so that you know what oil they sent you!

Well it's in a big 20 litre drum and on the drum theres a sticker that says RBD coconut Oil which I know is refined, bleached, deodorised CO but thats all the label says. Thats it....not much help I guess.

And another question...what is palm oil good for? I bought so much of it because it's in nearly every recipe but what are the benefits of it? I know coconut makes for a very cleansing, hard, bubbly bar but what about Palm? Thanks everyone :)

Here's an explanation on Palm Oil,
"Palm Oil is rich in palmitic acid, vitamin E, vitamin K and magnesium and is considered to be a natural source of anti-oxidant. It works great in soap making. This variety of Palm Oil is Refined, Bleached and Deodorized. "
Palmitic acid, hahahahaha, does that mean its only good for your hands, but only the underside.
Anyhoo, the CO oil conundrum is very wierd, I would hazard a guess that it is somehting other than CO, when you heat CO it becomes a light clearish oil, try refridgerating a small sample, if it sets up as a hard melty solid white to offwhite oil then maybe you have a heat source by your storage. It really should be semi solid at room temperature though. Also, there should be very little odour, I've never seen it but could it possibly be rancid????

ive never seen coc oil that was brown, and mine was always somewhat hard, never liquid, could you call them?

Also, let us know where you purchased it from and if there is any resolution, customer support and such. I believe we should all support the good businesses and equally not support poorly run businesses.

Could it be the colored coconut oil they use for popcorn , it is an orangey ,reddish ,yellow color when solid .

Kitn

I buy the coconut 76. It stays solid for me in the wintertime, but when summer hits and the ambient temp in my house is 80 degrees F, it converts to its liquid form and I can pour it instead of scooping it.

When mine is solid it is white, but when it's in its liquid state it is a pale, golden color- never brown. Like Kitn, I wonder if somehow you were sent the type used for popping popcorn. I've seen that type of coconut oil in the supermarket and it is always a reddish-brownish color.

Re Palm: I have the palm oil shortening made by Spectrum and it is always white.

IrishLass :)

Okay it's all good!! :) I put some of the oil in the fridge and after 20 minutes or so is nice and solid and surprisingly off white! In the drum it's brown but when I got a small clear cup of it it was just a very light colour and solidified just fine!! Yay!! I still don't know why it's liquid in the drum though....I had it at a pretty low temperature but not low enough I guess. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back