Dropping the lye discount

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmomma

Reaction score
The cranberry butter question had me wondering if anyone would possibly know this. For cp soaping, if you don't know the sap value of a certain oil/butter, could you drop the lye discount in your calculator to 0-1%, and then just added 4-5% over your total recipe of that oil butter in?

When I CPHP I drop my lye discount to about 3% and then do my superfatting after the cook.

If you're doing CP, I guess that would basically be what you're doing only before the cook. Lower your starting lye discount then add maybe 5% of the cranberry butter as your superfat.

I'd probably leave my lye discount at maybe 4 or 5 percent then add no more than an additional 5% of the cranberry butter

that's just me, and I'm still pretty new, so probably see what others think too LOL

Hmmm.....I've been wondering the same thing from the same thread! Not knowing the sap value, I would probably go with a 3-5% lye discount then add 5% by weight of Cranberry Butter to my recipe with my other oils. I usually superfat at 6-10% so that would work out for me, maybe.....if we are on the right track with this, that is :wink:

Tanya :)

With CP, you can not make sure which oils don't get saponified it is a mixture of all of your oils, it's different with HP because the soap is already cooked/saponification has taken place and then you add your extra oil which is going to be always the unsaponified oil. So the answer is no in CP you do not get to choose which oil you wish to superfat with, it is a mixture of all oils.
Etelka

Etelka said:
With CP, you can not make sure which oils don't get saponified it is a mixture of all of your oils, it's different with HP because the soap is already cooked/saponification has taken place and then you add your extra oil which is going to be always the unsaponified oil. So the answer is no in CP you do not get to choose which oil you wish to superfat with, it is a mixture of all oils.
Etelka

I don't think that's what she was asking. She has no idea what the SAP value is for the cranberry butter, so she was asking if she reduces her normal lye discount a bit did we think it would be ok to then add a bit of the cranberry butter in place of the standard lye discount. Basically the way many superfat, whether it works or not is another story. I don't think she was trying to save the cranberry butter from the lye monster, just trying to make sure she didn't end up with too much of a superfat or too much lye by using it.

Latest posts

Back