Dream ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
What soap oils/additives would you love to experiment with, but can't because of cost/availability/existence?

I did some research on sheep's milk because I was curious if there were sheep dairies in WA that weren't cheese-only. Found that it's only obtainable in-season and then it's $40 a gallon. Goats' milk being a little more in-demand, I can find it at my local natural foods store.

ostrich oil, dragon fruit (coz the red variety has such an amazing purple-fuchsia color. wonder if it will survive saponification), and the exotic butters like coffee, olive, etc. also caffeine, pearl, and collagen powders.

almost forgot: screw pine leaves. has wonderful smell and a nice green color. using them a lot in our cooking and baking as a natural coloring/flavoring. still got no idea how to incorporate it into soaps though.

Many EO, too many to list. I second the butters, like coffee butter & such.

How about horse oil? I noticed it on soap calc the other day. We are military & around post there is a large Asian population, pretty sure it would go over well at the farmers market.

Last edited:
rose eo is **** expensive. over here it's like 8 bucks for a tiny 10ml bottle. scent wise, it is pretty weak. that said, when i'm using eo, i'm mainly looking for its benefits, rather than its scent. that said, i also want my soap to at least smell something. so yeah, it's a weird situation, as trying to add rose fo to the soap (to help to the scent) will be a waste of the eo IMO. maybe i should mix eos.

I would like all the things from LotionCrafter and start a whole chem lab/factory/soap/body/skin/hair loving mecca. Cuz, YAY SCIENCE!!

But if I had to choose, I'd start with all the anti-wrinkle ingredients and all things mango and coffee butter.

Rose hip oil, meadowfoam oil and Rose EO.

I didn't see too much of a difference in soap that I made with rosehip oil. I save it now for my lotions and serums. Love meadowfoam seed oil in my lotions too. Great for my combination skin.

I want some Crisco. Seriously, that stuff is in all the soaping books. I know it's the basic cheap beginners go to ingredient, but it's expensive in Australia. I don't want a substitute. I want some actual Crisco just so I can tick a Crisco soap off my list. Yes it's a little OCD.

I want some Crisco. Seriously, that stuff is in all the soaping books. I know it's the basic cheap beginners go to ingredient, but it's expensive in Australia. I don't want a substitute. I want some actual Crisco just so I can tick a Crisco soap off my list. Yes it's a little OCD.

U in aussie? I was trying to find crisco as well last month when i was in melb. Woolies, coles, i swear they didnt have it. Crisco oil yes, but not the actual, shortening, blue tin one we greatly desired. I'm back in asia now, and we're having a shortage on crisco for quite some time. Nobody has it. Before it was everywhere altho price wise it aint cheap.

So yea, i also want the **** thang, but couldnt find it, grrrrrrrr....

Derpina Bubbles from one aussie to another embrace the oils we have in abundance. I love using our macadamia oil which is about $6 for 500g at Coles and our olive oil is cheap compared to some places. Overseas posters have suggested that Crisco varies in ingredients so do you really want to use something that can have varying results? Sorry if I'm preachy but love the stuff we have. Where in Oz are you? I'm in Northern Vic.

U in aussie? I was trying to find crisco as well last month when i was in melb. Woolies, coles, i swear they didnt have it. Crisco oil yes, but not the actual, shortening, blue tin one we greatly desired. I'm back in asia now, and we're having a shortage on crisco for quite some time. Nobody has it. Before it was everywhere altho price wise it aint cheap.

So yea, i also want the **** thang, but couldnt find it, grrrrrrrr....

Yup, in Aus. I've found it online only. Not many places seem to have it and they charge heaps.

Derpina Bubbles from one aussie to another embrace the oils we have in abundance. I love using our macadamia oil which is about $6 for 500g at Coles and our olive oil is cheap compared to some places. Overseas posters have suggested that Crisco varies in ingredients so do you really want to use something that can have varying results? Sorry if I'm preachy but love the stuff we have. Where in Oz are you? I'm in Northern Vic.

I hear you on the mac oil. Love the stuff. Just wanted to tick Crisco off my to do list lol. I also use heaps of olive oil (can always get the big tins on special at Coles or Woolies). I'm on the Gold Coast by the way.

rose eo is **** expensive. over here it's like 8 bucks for a tiny 10ml bottle. scent wise, it is pretty weak. that said, when i'm using eo, i'm mainly looking for its benefits, rather than its scent. that said, i also want my soap to at least smell something. so yeah, it's a weird situation, as trying to add rose fo to the soap (to help to the scent) will be a waste of the eo IMO. maybe i should mix eos.

I like rose geranium EO for soap. I would loves to have some rose, some jasmine and some sandalwood EO for a lotion or a body bar. Even if I won the lottery I don't think I could bare to have something as dear as rose EO chewed up by CP!

I like rose geranium EO for soap. I would loves to have some rose, some jasmine and some sandalwood EO for a lotion or a body bar. Even if I won the lottery I don't think I could bare to have something as dear as rose EO chewed up by CP!

ya know what, i think i might just have to make a rose soap by HP. i think this way the scent will survive better (and no funky fo issues). i'm thinking rosehip soap (adding this for SF) as i have some rosehip oil and a tiny bit left of the rose eo.

i like rose ger too :) i dont have that eo, but i bought a rose geranium bar before. the smell is amazing, but sadly its not a strong scent, not even medium me thinks.

our olive oil is cheap compared to some places

bloody right. i am so jealous of you guys, i was at woolies and they were having a special, 4 ltr (or was it 5? cant remember) for 24 bucks? :Kitten Love: you dont have to deal with pomace like i do, coz even using the extra virgin one is still cheap.

Elk or deer tallow. My mom hunts but she has never gotten a really fatty deer. Apparently they need to eat a lot of corn for this to happen? Or maybe here in Alabama it doesn't get cold enough that they put on extra fat for insulation?

Latest posts

Back