Dragon fruit powder in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerbear31

Reaction score
i just found out that they have dragon fruit powder. Have any of y’all tried to use it in cp soap for color or anything? I’d like to know what your experiences have been if you have used it.
Thanks!

I don't know about the powder but someone on this forum years ago tried the puree and got no color at all. Not even a morph, just none apparently. It was before my time and I remember coming across it researching natural colorants..

Most do that btw, it'll take research and testing to figure out which fruit powders and purees work.

What color is your powder? The pink like the outside color (minus the skin)?

If its pink, I can almost guarantee it will turn brown. In fact, I can't think of any pink/red/purple botanical that will keep its color in soap.

i just found out that they have dragon fruit powder. Have any of y’all tried to use it in cp soap for color or anything? I’d like to know what your experiences have been if you have used it.
Thanks!
I use beetroot powder and you Do NOT get the vibrant red.....it turns out brown. I made it twice and thought I was doing something wrong so I asked a fellow soaper and she said that is what it does as well. Lol

I can't believe that dragon fruit powder is 100% natural and doesn't have some artificial color added to it.
What's dragonfruit?

This is dragonfruit:

upload_2019-4-16_7-38-29.png

Wow, so y'all just grow them in your gardens over there? Never heard of them until now.
Anyway - feijoas, that's something we have that you don't - now they are yummy!! But they wouldn't colour soap.

Actually we do have them in the US. They are often called pineapple guavas or desert fruit, but the public didn't acquire a taste for them. Apparently they taste better if grown along the coast, but not as good if grown in the California deserts. They have been accepted as a nice hedge tree that attracts birds and butterflies, though. I can even go buy one at our local Lowes right now as some are currently in stock, which surprises me because I wouldn't expect them to do well in the winters we get here.

I have never heard of them being called Pineapple Guavas, but there is a Guava that can be a tree or shrub very yummy. I had a client that used to make Pineapple Guava jelly that was fantastic every year from her Guavas.

As far as I remember Dragon Fruit originally came from Mexico

Just to clarify, it's the feijoas that's called pineapple guava (but it is not really a member of the guava family) or desert fruit. I think it's also called guava fig by some as well. So many names for the same fruit! I am pretty sure it can be purchased in Santa Cruz, but it's been so long since I lived there, I don't know if it's still something the markets carry there these days.

But it's certainly not as pretty as the dragon fruit. I remember the first time I saw one (dragonfruit), I had to get out my camera and take as many photographs as possible to do it justice.

If its pink, I can almost guarantee it will turn brown. In fact, I can't think of any pink/red/purple botanical that will keep its color in soap.
Himalayan rhubarb root powder does, it’s a brown powder but when you infuse it in oil and then mix with the lye it turns a beautiful red color , I haven’t tried it yet but have seen a few videos with them using it

Back