DOS from sunlight exposure

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a very clear example of DOS due to sun exposure. I left the two smaller pieces of soap sitting on a cart next to a sliding glass door and forgot about them for a couple of weeks. A few weeks ago, at least, I moved them back to the soap rack. They would have gotten strong morning sun for a few hours a day. The two longer pieces were out of the sun on my soap rack. The batch was made late last year.

E4D377DB-640A-4B72-B5A9-F2873C3FC91C.jpeg

szaza

Reaction score
Oh no that's too bad.. it's really pretty soap!! But thanks for the heads up about sunlight and DOS!
I recently experienced something similar with some 100% CO soaps that were sitting in the window sill for +-10 months. There's not really clear DOS, but the smelly smell is there, it's not nice soap anymore. I should go check on their twins in the basement😉

amd

Reaction score
I had that happen with food puree soaps (carrot, pumpkin, potato) and occasionally an aloe soap if I did a lot of shows in the summer. Always keep your soaps in the shade!

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Soapsmith did an experiment that looked at how edta, bht, and citrate as well as muslin bags can hep reduce the incidence of DOS. The soap she didn't treat and left exposed to light turned out similar to what you're seeing with your soap, M.B. Kinda cool stuff, actually, even though I don't like DOS. ;)