Doing my own recipe; can someone double check for adjustments?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMakerDeluxe

Reaction score
Now a veteran of my first batch, I'm posting in the regular forum. What what.

Anyways, I've got a lot of coconut oil to use, so I'm wondering if this will create an acceptable soap:

9U1lwMM.png

Honestly, I can't go over 18% to 20% without feeling the drying effects. I've done 22-23% at 8% sf and felt the itch. Almost 42% CO with only 5% sf, and I'm willing to bet that's way too harsh for 99.8% of people. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you want a suggestion, don't go below 25% if higher co doesn't bother you, and use a much higher sf if you want a 42% CO bar.

If you're looking to get rid of the co, try a salt bar. Irishlass seems to have a good recipe for one (maybe she will chime in or I can try to find it). Salt bars are a neat way to experiment, branch out, and use up coconut oil.

I would swap the amount on the OO and coconut oil, it will make a much nicer soap. I agree on using your coconut oil on salt bars, you want them to be 75%-100% coconut oil.

What Obsidian said on the oil swap. Or try a 80% CO, with 20% palm. Superfat at between 18 and 20. Add in 50% of the weight of the oils in salt. So if you're at 48 oz of oil, use 24 oz of salt.

On some of my bastiles with 30% coconut oil, I need 8-10% superfat.
If you have a ton of coconut oil to use up, either make salt bars with 80% or more coconut oil and 10-20% superfat, or one of those 100% coconut oil & 20% superfat recipes I see around.
OR - make a 100% CO & 0% SF laundry soap :D << You cant have too much of this on hand

Unless you have super oily, Teflon skin, you might want to increase the superfat on that baby. lol Or as the others have said- you can switch the olive oil and coconut percents around. I myself am able to tolerate high amounts of coconut oil (over 30%), but only if I superfat enough to compensate for the super cleansing power of the coconut. Speaking only for myself, if I were to make your posted recipe, I believe I would be fine with it, but only if I superfatted it by at least 10%.

You could always make a 100% coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat , or like the others have suggested, you can make a salt bar batch.

lionprincessOO said:
If you're looking to get rid of the co, try a salt bar. Irishlass seems to have a good recipe for one (maybe she will chime in or I can try to find it). Salt bars are a neat way to experiment, branch out, and use up coconut oil.

Chiming in. :) Everyone has their favorite way to make them, but this is how I like to make mine:

100% coconut oil
25% fine sea salt as per total oil weight
100% coconut milk (or goat milk) as my liquid
superfatted @ 13%

IrishLass :)

Having lots of coconut oil is a good thing. It has a good, long shelf life. Don't be in such a hurry to use it up. You have lots of soap in your future to use it on.

If it were me, I would cut that coconut oil down to 20% and split the balance between the olive oil and palm oil.

While the numbers are not the be-all and end-all, if we look at the cleansing number, you're over the suggest number by a long way. Sure, SoapCalc doesn't consider the SF on these numbers, but if you leave it at the standard then you'll be in this sort of area with it.

As others have said, it might well work for you...........................but the people who can take high CO (30% of the recipe) seem to be a minority compared to the people who tend to keep CO below 21% for their regular soaps.

Latest posts

Back