Does anyone superfat at 8%?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonna

Reaction score
I made a batch the other night and I sf'ed at 8% but I found it's still a little greasy on the outside of the bar. I have always sf'ed at 5% so this was new to me. I know there used to be a poll on here about superfatting but I can't seem to find it. What does everyone else do and think?

I rarely superfat less than 7, but have also superfatted between 15-20%. I don't understand the grease on your bar :?

x

all my bars are sf'd from 10-15%, depending on how much coconut oil i use.

did you use a recipe with at least 30-40% olive? if so that may be why it's a little greasy, but it will "dry-up". if you use a lot of olive in the recipe, you might want to reduce the water amount to 2:1 water/lye (33%). but keep in mind that touchy f/o's will react faster, too.

I usually stay within the 5 to 8% , haven't had greasy soap though .I would wait and see if it reabsorbs , it could. Soap does many strange and wonderful things.

Kitn

I usually SF at 8% although I have gone 15 - 20% for batches heavy in coconut - my salt bar I did today is at 15% to keep it moisturizing...

I personally prefer soap superfatted at 8% minimum, higher for coconut-heavy soaps.

I wonder though, do highly superfatted soaps (10%+) clog pores from the excess of free oils?

Yeah Daniel I've wondered that too. And yes heartsong, my recipe was 40% OO. I beveled it today and it was still a little greasy but it does need a good 3 to 4 week cure so I'm sure it will dry up by then and it looks like I'll be sticking to 8% superfat :) My skin loves the extra moisturization :)Thanks everyone!!

x

imho, i believer high superfat clogging pores is an old wive's tale. it may come from using as a facial soap, but the user's might have had oily skin to begin with and blamed their blackheads on the soap.

i believe it is just an "urban legend"

i wash my face with a 12% olive & coconut bastille with goatsmilk. since i started using my own soaps, i no longer break out or have noticeable skin problems, except maybe WRINKLES! LOL! :shock:

Ok, I gotta play devils advocate here. First of all, I SF too, but, just for the calc record....why should you have to? I mean if it says it is 48 + conditioning why would you need to SF more? I've had recipes that were high in coconut but also loaded with butters to up the conditioning in the recipe.
Some people will still SF 8-10%
Just wondering ;)

Oh Dixie you devil you! I like how the soaps feel at 8% SF - I have soaped as low as 5% and they're fine too - but I just like how the higher SF feels....jmo

I always do 8. No grease here. the only time I ever get a slight slime on the outside is when I use honey. It's gone in a day though. Not sure what happened with yours. I'd try wiping the excess and just give it time to reabsorb.
Good luck!

Being as my skin is overly sensative and overly dry, my fav is a high superfat. howevever, as i understand it, higher super fat equals less bubbles. Recently, I have been superfatting at 15%, but was having lack-o-bubble problems. Back down to 8% for the time being...

As for clogging pores, there are oils that are known pore cloggers, where as others are not necessarily. This is why soaping is such a fascination for me!

This is a great discussion!!!

Re: x

heartsong said:

did you use a recipe with at least 30-40% olive? if so that may be why it's a little greasy, but it will "dry-up". if you use a lot of olive in the recipe, you might want to reduce the water amount to 2:1 water/lye (33%). but keep in mind that touchy f/o's will react faster, too.

Heartsong, this is so refreshing to me! I thought I was weird (10-15%). how are your bubbles?

I normally sf at 5%, but lately my fav bars have been 8% for a high coconut and palm bar.

Re: x

SimplyE said:
heartsong said:

Heartsong, this is so refreshing to me! I thought I was weird (10-15%). how are your bubbles?

using my winter solstice rtcp semi-whipped milk soap (posted in recipe forum) i get dense heavy rich lather. i've soaped that recipe with an 8-12% lye discount with no chg in lather. i add castor bean oil when i add coconut oil-it brings out the best in both oils.

Back