Does anyone have a recipe for a fly spray to use on horses?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safire_6

Reaction score
The flys have been horrible this year and my poor horses have had to deal with them all summer. I use fly boots and masks but haven't been able to come up with a good homemade spray yet. Maybe there isn't one? Anyone else have something that works for them?

Kathy

Re: Does anyone have a recipe for a fly spray to use on hors

safire_6 said:
The flys have been horrible this year and my poor horses have had to deal with them all summer. I use fly boots and masks but haven't been able to come up with a good homemade spray yet. Maybe there isn't one? Anyone else have something that works for them?

Kathy

try getting some citronella and teatree essential oils, you can mix them in a spray bottle with water and apply, but please check with a vet first to find out if its toxic to them, I know its bad for felines, but its okay for canines...

Another route would be to get one of those sprayers for spraying pesticides (never used for that purpose of course...fresh and clean) and add neem oil and water to the reservoir, shake it up and spray the mixture on the horses coat liberally, neem is excellent for their skin and coat as well ... :)

Believe it or not but I used to use a Bounty Sheet on my horse during fly & mosquito season and it kept the bugs away beautifully. The other thing I did to protect his ears and underbelly was to use Off cream and rub it in his ears and under his tummy on the private parts to keep them protected. Worked like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just made one using citronella, eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, rosemary, in a shot of vodka a little glycerin and vitamin e, mostly apple cider vinegar and a little water. Worked way better than the tri-tech we had been wasting money on all summer. The glycerin, vitamin e and rosemary are for the coat not for bugs. So much better than chemicals. Haven't tried the dryer sheet yet.

Back