Do you strain your lye solution?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkor

Reaction score
While reading MzMolly's wildly entertaining lye master batch fireball post, I noticed a couple of references mentioning straining the lye solution. I have never done this, should I be? My batches are small (20 oz oil) and I make sure all the lye is dissolved before I add it to the oils. Is that sufficient or should I take the extra precaution and strain?

*I'm glad you weren't injured MzMolly!

I make 3 lb or smaller batches for my family and friends only. I do not strain my lye. But, I do watch that lye dissolve like a hawk. I make sure every last granule is gone before leaving it to cool.

I would imagine that people who make enough soap that masterbatching makes sense, make LOTS more soap than me and do not have the time to stand there and watch every second. Therefore, straining the lye water makes much more sense for them. They also probably sell their soap, and you just can't be too careful with other people's health.

^^^ What Susie said. If there is any doubt in my mind, I will strain, but a visual check is almost always plenty fine.

The times I've strained have been with milk soaps when I was dissolving the lye in the milk. Oh, and when I made the first-timer mistake of adding sugar to the finished lye solution rather than adding it to the water and dissolving it BEFORE I added the lye. I use a fine-mesh stainless steel strainer.

i strain. it's just a habit now. i feel better doing it :)

I started straining when I started using raw tussah silk. There are usually one or two floaties in the solution.
I've also started using Sodium Lactate in powder form and it occasionally leaves a few floaties as well. I don't know if this is a problem but I don't like taking chances.

I master batch lye and always strain it into my storage jugs. The light crusty on the top will make floaties which I like to stain off. If making single batch lye solution I only strain if I have floaties

Thanks everyone, nice to know I wasn't missing an important step! I'll just carry on with my non-strain routine as I'm very careful to make sure all my lye granules are dissolved.

Ooops, forgot to ask, for those that do strain, how fine of a mesh is recommended? Or is there another method like a coffee filter? Asking now in case I encounter an issue down the road.

I am going to go with the following after reading the replies here: If I am using any liquid that prevents me from seeing that every granule is gone, I am going to strain also. Good safety practices are never regretted.

I once got lye crystals in a beer-based soap, so now I strain, each and every time. It doesn't take long. I use a stainless mesh tea strainer.

When you strain the solution and get remnants of the lye, does this mean you have a slightly higher superfat? If not all the lye dissolves, that would mean your solution is a bit weaker. I am just trying to put this info correctly in my head.

I strain every time I use an opaque liquid that does not allow seeing if all the lye is dissolved. This is for me most of the time, since I usually use liquids other than water. On the rare case that there are undissolved lye crystals I add a tiny bit of filtered water to finish dissolving them.

I've never strained the Lye but I generally make batches under 1KG of oils.

When you strain the solution and get remnants of the lye, does this mean you have a slightly higher superfat? If not all the lye dissolves, that would mean your solution is a bit weaker. I am just trying to put this info correctly in my head.

It would be a tiny bit more superfatted. But I have not yet had any lye not dissolve if I gave it a bit more stirring and time. And it is only 3-4 granules usually that take longer than the others. But again, if you can't see that they are gone, then strain and know for sure.

Back