Adding sugar to lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I weigh the total amount of my batch liquid, then remove enough to dissolve the sugar I am using and warm it slightly. Once the sugar is completely dissolved I add it back into the batch water. Then I stir in the lye.

Never add undissolved sugar to already made lye solution. I did that exactly once and lesson learned. It sounds like you learned the same lesson 🤓
That’s what I do, and I add sodium gluconate at the same time because it can be persnickety about dissolving. While it’s microwaving I add the SL to the water.

And yet it dissolves into hot butter when butter when cooking or baking 🤔 and will dissolve into egg whites....

But you're comparing apples and oranges when comparing soap making fat to butter or egg white.

Butter in the US is only 85-90% fat (can't remember the exact %), and the other 10-15% is water. Also egg whites are almost entirely water. The water in these ingredients is the reason why sugar can dissolve in melted butter and egg white.

Soap making fats are 100% fat. Sugar is not soluble in fat.

What are you microwaving?
A little of the water (pre addition of NaOH) with sorbitol and sodium gluconate. Process is
1) I measure out the water (enough for 6 loaves or 4 loaves depending on how I fill my molds)
2) pour off a little water, about 100 g, into a smaller container.
3) tare the scale, add sorbitol and sodium gluconate
4) microwave 30 seconds
5) meanwhile measure my sodium lactate into the bigger water container
6) swish the microwaved ingredients. Usually microwave another 30 seconds.
7) swish again and when it’s all dissolved add it to the water
8) don my ppe.
9) stir in premeasured NaOH
10) leave it to cool outside or in a water bath.

A little of the water (pre addition of NaOH) with sorbitol and sodium gluconate. Process is
1) I measure out the water (enough for 6 loaves or 4 loaves depending on how I fill my molds)
4) microwave 30 seconds
8) don my ppe.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

4) microwave 30 seconds
8) don my ppe.
My process is similar except that I use MB lye solution, so the additives go in the additional liquid, which I then microwave for about 30 seconds. I swirl the container till all is dissolved, and the usually add that to my MB solution right before I pour into the oils and start blending.

This time I dissolved the sugar in hot water first then used that water to make the lye solution. After the solution cooled and I added sodium lactate - something precipitated out again. It was not clumps this time - it was more goo like (still strained it).

Was this lye lint?

This time I dissolved the sugar in hot water first then used that water to make the lye solution. After the solution cooled and I added sodium lactate - something precipitated out again. It was not clumps this time - it was more goo like (still strained it).

Was this lye lint?
I've had that happen with SL - it sometimes turns to goo in the lye solution. I used to just stickblend it into soap batter if that happens.

Lye lint looks like white flakes that float on top of the water. :)

Latest posts

Back