Adding sugar to lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewlyCreative

Reaction score
If you add sugar to an already made lye solution - does it just precipitate out as clumps of sugar?

I strained out the hard bits and goo while pouring the lye solution into my oils and plucked one big hard lump out before pouring it.

I’m hoping it was just sugar and not lye that I strained out.

I also forgot to add sodium lactate to the lye solution.

And the container I was melting my first batch of oils in liquified (sigh). Besides the mess I was trying a recipe with Kokum butter so that just added insult to injury.

Oh my, that container issue sounds messy - so sorry this happened to you. What type of container was it?

Try dissolving your sugar in double its weight of distilled water next time. For example, for 1000g fats, I use 10g sorbitol (1%) and 20g distilled water. Then I reduce my batch liquid by 20g to account for the water with the sorbitol.

@dmcgee5034 - it was a really inexpensive plastic Walmart or dollar store container that was microwave safe so I thought I could use it in a water bath. Nope.

I need to buy a large Pyrex glass measuring cup for oil melting.

Lesson learned for the sugar. It was a last minute addition and three separate websites said it was ok to add directly to lye water.

I wonder if you could dissolve the sugar directly in sodium lactate and skip the reserved water.

In positive news the soap is hardening well within 90 minutes of being pored so hopefully the sodium lactate miss will be ok!

I weigh the total amount of my batch liquid, then remove enough to dissolve the sugar I am using and warm it slightly. Once the sugar is completely dissolved I add it back into the batch water. Then I stir in the lye.

Never add undissolved sugar to already made lye solution. I did that exactly once and lesson learned. It sounds like you learned the same lesson 🤓

Last edited:
If you add sugar to an already made lye solution - does it just precipitate out as clumps of sugar?

I strained out the hard bits and goo while pouring the lye solution into my oils and plucked one big hard lump out before pouring it.

I’m hoping it was just sugar and not lye that I strained out.

I also forgot to add sodium lactate to the lye solution.

And the container I was melting my first batch of oils in liquified (sigh). Besides the mess I was trying a recipe with Kokum butter so that just added insult to injury.
I add the sugar to my oils.

Latest posts

Back