Do you guys do this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
I am SPINNING with ideas about things to add to my (for lack of a better word) "line", and I just keep buying random stuff the minute the idea grabs me. It's fun and all, but I need to streamline my thoughts and make lists like...

1.) I want these 10 "all natural" soaps. And make them.

2. I will carry these scents and actively search out the deals and buy just those...

3. I wanna make these 12 "fun" color and FO soaps.

4. I will do THESE catagories...
etc.

Ya know what I mean? I just have random stuff, all willy nilly and while fun, probably not the best plan business-wise. Or on my bank account, for that matter. I'm like a soap ingredient crack-head here lately. So here's my new resolution! I'm going to make a list of all the kinds of soaps and types of B&B products I wanna carry and make. This will be step one. I'll organize more after this initial step.

"Hi. I'm LJA, and I'm a soapaholic..."

I'm in the process of developing a line as well, and you're right -- it is expensive. I'm probably nearing about $1000 in supplies and I've only been doing this for a few months.

I'm finding that the best way to develop a strong line is to give your soap out to as many people as you can, and get their feedback on it. This gives you an idea as to which soaps they like best and which they like least. If they didn't like the scent, you can make a note. If they liked the scent but found the soap to be drying/not bubbly enough/too conditioning for their skin type, you can make more notes. It won't take long to discover which soaps are the crowd favorites.

You might be surprised at which ones people gravitate to and which ones they don't care for.

Hi my name is Kitn and I am a soapaholic.
I think about soap , 24/7 . I write the ideas down and don't act on them right away ,most times. :wink: I think what you are going through is natural when starting out with something like making soap .The possibilities are endless , what's a girl to do. Making lists is a great plan.Get your base line going and then play with more ideas.

Kitn

Danielito said:
I'm in the process of developing a line as well, and you're right -- it is expensive. I'm probably nearing about $1000 in supplies and I've only been doing this for a few months.

I'm finding that the best way to develop a strong line is to give your soap out to as many people as you can, and get their feedback on it. This gives you an idea as to which soaps they like best and which they like least. If they didn't like the scent, you can make a note. If they liked the scent but found the soap to be drying/not bubbly enough/too conditioning for their skin type, you can make more notes.

You might be surprised at which ones people gravitate to and which ones they don't care for.

You're completely right, Daniel. I've spent around that much too. I could probably rattle off a few thou more that I could spend in about 20 minutes.

I have my line broken down to:

1 - Eau de Natural - Naturally scented/coloured & unscented soaps
2 - Divine Scents - these are scented & coloured
3 - For the Kids - these are soaps that geared towards children
4 - Limited Editions - these are the soaps that I don't plan on making again - however having said that if there is a large demand for them I will move into the appropriate category
5 - Bath & Body - this is where I place my Bath Salts, Milk Baths, Lotions, Whipped Butters, etc.

Then I have a separate category for Bath Accessories - this is where I put my face cloths, soap dishes, shaving accessories etc. I won't always have all of these accessories as I buy some in small quanities and when they're out they're out.

I am slowly developing my line-up of what's permanent and what's not from what the market dictates - what sells becomes permanent - others don't get repeated because they were real dogs trying to sell. I have a couple of those right now.

HTH

Oh yeah - I spend about $500 a month on soap ingredients and then I spend about $300 every couple of months or so on packaging - so yeah you're going to spend money but it is soooo worth it...

Oh did I mention I am a Soaping Addict?????? :p

Lindy said:
I have my line broken down to:

1 - Eau de Natural - Naturally scented/coloured & unscented soaps
2 - Divine Scents - these are scented & coloured
3 - For the Kids - these are soaps that geared towards children
4 - Limited Editions - these are the soaps that I don't plan on making again - however having said that if there is a large demand for them I will move into the appropriate category
5 - Bath & Body - this is where I place my Bath Salts, Milk Baths, Lotions, Whipped Butters, etc.

Then I have a separate category for Bath Accessories - this is where I put my face cloths, soap dishes, shaving accessories etc. I won't always have all of these accessories as I buy some in small quanities and when they're out they're out.

I am slowly developing my line-up of what's permanent and what's not from what the market dictates - what sells becomes permanent - others don't get repeated because they were real dogs trying to sell. I have a couple of those right now.

HTH

Thanks, Lindy! That DOES help!! Great ideas!! ::steals your list::: :wink:

I have a solution to your problem LJA!!!! STOP Soaping! Yea right NOT!
Sorry, but that is the life of a soapaholic and learning self discipline is why we need our own support group! lol

LJA - steal away buddy - I found I had to sort them into categories for me to figure out what I was doing. I even have another category called Diva on a Dime Gift Baskets which I need to update - but this is where I will advertise gift baskets. Really need to update this one!!!

Glad to be able to help..... :D

Dixie - I think we're going to have to burn you at the stake for that one! :shock:

LJA, one other thing I'm doing is working on my soap's "look". While I want each soap to have its own identity visually, I also want them all to look good and make sense together. The look I happen to like for my soap is rustic, natural and textural, with earthy colors and herbs/botanicals.

Dixie said:
I have a solution to your problem LJA!!!! STOP Soaping! Yea right NOT!
Sorry, but that is the life of a soapaholic and learning self discipline is why we need our own support group! lol

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stop soaping???? Support group????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let's get this straight......I DON'T have a problem. EVERYONE ELSE IS ADDICTED.....I'm just.......ummmmmmm.....FOCUSED.

:roll:
:lol:

[quote="MikeInPdx
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stop soaping???? Support group????

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Let's get this straight......I DON'T have a problem. EVERYONE ELSE IS ADDICTED.....I'm just.......ummmmmmm.....FOCUSED.

:roll:
:lol:[/quote]

Yeah what he said!!!!! - Focussed..... :roll:

artisan soaps said:
So you mean it's not just me? Phew *wipes brow and calls of therapy session* :lol:

Well I'm obviously not starting a line or anything, but I know I want a range of soaps to choose from as the mood strikes me (invigorating/decadent/exfoliating/ kids etc) .. And this very forum has now got me wanting to make scrubs, lotions & butters!

BUT .. After reading this I'm not going to give myself such a hard time for the other days hedonistic spending of FO's anymore :wink:

Ehhh we gotta try to not beat our selves up for it too much. Besides, it keeps me off the pole. (Heh... :wink: )

LJA said:
Ehhh we gotta try to not beat our selves up for it too much. Besides, it keeps me off the pole. (Heh... :wink: )

Thanks LJA ! Hubby was reading over my shoulder and saw that ! He now wants to install a "pole", and limit my soaping to one day every 2 weeks so I have more time for the "pole" ! :shock:

Danielito said:

I'm finding that the best way to develop a strong line is to give your soap out to as many people as you can, and get their feedback on it. This gives you an idea as to which soaps they like best and which they like least. If they didn't like the scent, you can make a note. If they liked the scent but found the soap to be drying/not bubbly enough/too conditioning for their skin type, you can make more notes. It won't take long to discover which soaps are the crowd favorites.

I'd be happy to be one of your testers! :lol:

jbarad said:
LJA said:

Thanks LJA ! Hubby was reading over my shoulder and saw that ! He now wants to install a "pole", and limit my soaping to one day every 2 weeks so I have more time for the "pole" ! :shock:

hahahaha...Gooooo jbarad!!

Sibi said:
I'd be happy to be one of your testers! :lol:

Ahhhh I will be sure to get some bars to you soon then. What kind of scents do you like? Maybe I should swing by Deb's one weekend when you guys are both there.

Back