Do the medicinal properties of herbs make it through the soapmaking process?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alycia_v

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to soapmaking but I am an experienced crafter and do-it-yourselfer :razz: I am working on a soap recipe for my Chinese herbal medicine class and I have a few questions.
1. I have seen oil and lye infusions using herbs. Do the medicinal properties of the substances make it through the saponification process? If so, is one type of infusion better than the other?
2. In addition to dried herbs I, want to incorporate ginger juice into my soap. Is there a way to get that through the saponification process without completely destroying its properties?
3. Is either hot process or cold process soapmaking better for preserving herbs?
Any experiences or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

It depends, I think. If you want to make an herbal soap with skin benefits, it would be best to make a plain 0% superfat soap, and then grate it into a pot. Then you could superfat it to your preferred percentage using infused oil, and/or melt it down using a strong decoction instead of water.

Latest posts

Back