discount question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
Sorry for the repeat question. I asked this question on an earler thread, but I don't think anyone saw it...

I've been superfatting by 10% but according to the earlier poll an extremely small percentage of you discount that high. I am now wondering if I am discounting too much. What would be the benefits or the harm in taking this type of discount?

Michelle

renaissancemom said:
Sorry for the repeat question. I asked this question on an earler thread, but I don't think anyone saw it...

I've been superfatting by 10% but according to the earlier poll an extremely small percentage of you discount that high. I am now wondering if I am discounting too much. What would be the benefits or the harm in taking this type of discount?

Michelle

I think it depends on your oils you're using. I have a couple recipes that I discount between 10 and 15 %, but usually I stick to around 6 or 7.

Can't really say if 10% is too high without knowing your recipe :)

I have a few recipes high in coconut oil where I superfat at 10-15%.

When I'm using less cleansing oils like olive or butters, I superfat at 5 - 8%.

Though I do have a 10% superfatted soap using olive oil, shea butter and castor oil..... it's super rich and conditioning.

If you superfat too high using oils prone to rancidity, you risk getting DOS and ruined soap. Also, some people don't do well with soaps superfatted at a high amount, those who have oily skin for example.

Latest posts

Back