Melt & Pour from Scratch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I am considering my first melt & pour soap from scratch and wondered the following.

Is it advisable to set the NaOH discount at 0% so that I can customize re-melted portions with any type of superfat (up to apx 4%) later? If I do this, I imagine I would only need to remember that some of the gross weight of the solid bar includes a small amount of non-fat ingredients.

Would this approach require me to consider more or less glycerine and or castor oil to compensate?

Should I assume that all the rules regarding citric acid to avoid soap scum, (and adjusting the NaOH accordingly) etc still apply?

Also happy for ideas re additive when re-batchnig the cured M&P base.

Last edited:
Last edited:
[... ] I hafta ask, WHY?! [... ]
What am I missing? :smallshrug:

Having one's own M&P seems to offer opportunities to take on custom projects of any size and even with short notice. Furthermore, no one can say the soap is not your 'natural handcrafted soap'.

From that perspective, it seems like a sensible (manufacturing) business decision!

I have never used any type of M&P before. Am therefore happy for anyone to correct or extend my assumptions with examples or other ideas.

Latest posts

Back