Discolouration from silicone mould?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
F1649375-406E-4EF1-9D0C-3660B1EAED41.jpeg
98B276D4-B356-497E-B5A7-79523006916F.jpeg
C291D8A7-0D82-4C6D-B1D9-669AB962D0CD.jpeg
4F8ED0CB-64F8-4D21-A5EA-B1BBF54DE1AE_1_201_a.jpeg
98D1C526-0FC9-44AC-9D76-1184312058E6.jpeg
Weird - this has never happened to me before. I unmolded my lovely ivory-coloured @Zany_in_CO's No-slime castile to find that it was ORANGE on the side touching the mould. All except for one bar which had some orange and some ivory. The mould was brand new - never been used - so i wonder if there was some kind of residue left on it that caused this discolouration? You can see in the last picture four smaller heart-shaped soaps that were in a different mold and they are fine.

I've had that happen before with red silicone intended for food. I believe the color in the silicone is coming off on the soap.

On mine, it wasn't very deep. It could be planed off.

This happened to one of my batches as well with a mold identical to yours I bought via eBay. Same mold, color, discoloration pattern. Only discolored areas touching the red silicone. Didn’t happen with same batch poured in other molds. Happened twice in it. I was afraid to try for a third.

It was a Castile soap I made.

I had the same problem before! Even made a post about it, too lol
What I found out was that particular red-brown colored silicone can stain soap, maybe due to the colorant used. I have two molds of this color and they stain every time. I have other silicone mold of varied colors: blue, dark purple, pink, white...None of them stains, just the red-brown.

Yep, you need to be careful with colored silicone. I remember a few years ago several folks reported that Essential Depot's red silicone loaf molds were staining their soaps (which is why I opted to buy the non-colored version of their loaf molds instead).

IrishLass :)

I've used heaps of coloured silicone - in fact, virtually the same colour for my other soaps and never had this problem.
I don't really want to plane them because it will ruin the nice gentle edges of the wedges (lol).

Latest posts

Back