Disasters in Candle Making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
I had really high hopes for stearic acid in my cold process soap making. I ordered 50 pounds but quickly found that it didn't work with my recipes. So what do I do with it? Yesterday I decided to try making some candles out of it.

I took a jar and filled it with the SA (stearic acid) and put it in the microwave. Despite its low melting temp, it didn't budge. I knew I just needed a little liquid to start it melting so I dumped most of it out with just a little in the bottom. Even after several minutes it did not melt in my high power microwave. SA is melts at somewhere around 150*F, well below the boiling point of water... so I put some water in the jar so the hot water could help start melting the wax flakes. After about 1 minute the contents of the jar exploded in a single blast, throwing molten SA all over the microwave.

Getting it out of the microwave was like chipping stone. After a few minutes I put the microwave on high and got it hot enough to wipe the SA off.

I later refilled the jar, put the heat on high and let it run for a long time. It eventually melted, I dropped in a wick and let it cool. I repeated the process with some yellow beeswax I had and it was much quicker to melt. I was hoping for a honey scent from the beeswax candle (as the wax definitely smells of it) but there's not much scent when its burning.

you can use it for lotions too!!

wow that sounds like a crazy experience lol

do you have a dbl boiler? or a pot thatll fit in a bigger one? i use a huge pyrex bowl, put a wooden spoon through handle so it doesnt fall into the pot, the pour spout supports it on one side and the spoon-truss on the other :) works like a charm.... the micro scares me lol

Back