Dirty Piglet's Soap Journal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclingmedic

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch of CP soap on Wednesday, 12/05/12. It was super simple! I made my own recipe I formulated. I would love to hear any feedback you all have. The first couple of photos are taken with instagram so they have the filter on them but the final photo of the cut soap is without a filter. I live in NYC and have a TINY kitchen so it was fun trying to maneuver everything. I also am going to have to figure out a good place to store the soap while it cures. Here is the recipe I came up with.

Water 35%
Super Fat 8%

Olive Oil 40%
Coconut Oil 31%
Palm Oil 14%
Castor Oil 10%
Shea Butter 5%

Hardness 41
Cleansing 21
Conditioning 55
Bubbly 30
Creamy 29
Iodine 56
INS 158

I know the cleansing is a bit high but I use a 100% silicone lubricant often and wanted the soap to be good and washing it off. A lot of times I have to use dish soap to get it off and wanted to stop doing that, lol. I sented it with 20.59gm of tea tree oil. The sent is a bit strong but I think it will be all right as it airs out.

I did CP soap but then warmed the over to 175 degrees and placed the soap in there overnight to gel etc. I waited 48hrs to unmold it and cut it. It is now siting on a wire wrack in a closet. How long do you think I should let it cure? I am so anxious to use it. I did the zap test and just tasted soap, nothing crazy happened. I had never done the zap test before though so wasn't sure exactly what to expect.

The color has come out a yellow soap color, lol, not sure how else to discribe it. It only took about 6-10 minutes to come to trace, I added the EO to the oil mixture right after I added the lye.

I have included a few photos. I look forward to keeping you all posted. I have decided to call my soap, Dirty Piglet's Soap. I don't know if I will ever be selling any but if I do I have a name, lol.

Here are the photos
37097851.jpg

23036925.jpg

86437945.jpg

21959398.jpg

Congratulations on your first batch! I think Dirty Piglet's is a great name! :lol:

I don't know why your soap turned yellow but I think it's a lovely color. Sometimes olive oil affects the color and if you used unrefined palm that could result in a color change, too. You'd know if there was still active lye in your soap. You'd feel a slight tingle on your tongue. Some people have described as if you put your tongue on a 9 volt battery. Never having done this, I don't know if it's an accurate description.

I recommend curing for at least 4 weeks to make sure all the excess water has evaporated and the soap has gone through all the little changes - hardens, becomes milder and also the lather improves, IMO. I know it's hard to wait. If you really can't wait, you could cut a small piece off to test in a few days. I'll admit to doing this a few times. :wink: Just remember it's not going to be as good that it will eventually become after a good cure.

That's a really nice looking color! Congrats on your first batch. I envy that you live in NYC - lucky you!

Is that Saran Wrap under your soap? You should remove that ... It's best to let as much air as possible at your soap. I use cookie racks to cure my soaps too.

I have removed the wrap. For some reason I don't want my soap stuff to mix with my cooking stuff, lol. I figure it has cured enough now it isn't a problem. I took it off and it is in the closet.

Love, love, LOVE the name! I also love that yellow. Which essential oils did you use? Some of them can make soap go yellow as well..

Fabulous first soap! :clap:

I tried the soap tonight and it is great. The lather is good and feels creamy. Looking forward to trying my second batch. The only thing I am unsure about is the smell. I only used Tea Tree EO. I think I might not use any scents on my next batch. I plan on trying bees wax in my batch.

looks like your about to come down with soap fever... I've had a nasty case of it and I've just gotta stop buying eo and fo just so many!! I am getting ready for batch 5. soaping is quite addicting get ready. I am getting married in October and my fiance said I am more excited about soaping than our wedding!

cyclingmedic said:
I think I might not use any scents on my next batch. I plan on trying bees wax in my batch.
Go lightly with the beeswax...it can be a lather killer - no more than an ounce PPO. It can make the bar a LITTLE harder and a little "glossy", but you won't really get any scent from it.

Thanks, I have heard it is hard on the lather. I would like to make a bar with crisco but having a hard time, the harness only gets to like 40 and the ins is like 121. I get confused how soft it will actually be. Will it even be usable or just go away fast while washing? I also wanna come up with a beer making recipe.

Recipe #2 Beer and Crisco Soap

I had some Crisco around and read that it makes a pretty good oil for soap making. I also had glanced a few posts that said beer works well in soap and makes a bar with great bubbles. My circle of friends will also get a kick out of soap made from beer and crisco. I decided to give it a try. Here is the recipe I formulated.

Water (I used all beer) 32%
Super Fat 5%

No Fragrance

Crisco, New w/palm 70%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 25%
Castor Oil, 5%

Hardness 37
Cleansing 17
Conditioning 59
Bubbly 21
Creamy 25
Iodine 85
INS 127

I boiled the beer for about 10 minutes or so until I had reduced the amount by about half. I heard that if you don't boil the beer you soap mold will over flow with a volcano effect. I didn't use any water in my soap, I used only beer. Since I am in NYC, Coors is really popular so I decided to go with that. I used the Coors lager, who want soap made with light beer? :lol: I was not ready for how bad it smelt. Boiling the beer was rough but when you mix it with the lye it is flat out HORRIBLE! I don't know how anybody could say they enjoy that smell. I am a beer drinker, I enjoy it a fair amount but the smell of warm beer is nasty. Needless to say I made sure there was even more ventilation than I normally do. Thankfully a few hours after mixing the smell had mostly left my small apartment. I melted the Crisco in the microwave then mixed it with the castor and coconut oils. I decided to try a scentless recipe. The scents seem like a whole separate ball game so I am going to take my time playing with them before I start putting them into my recipes.

The recipe seemed to go to light trace almost as soon as I mixed the lye in with the other oils. I ended up mixing a little bit too much because I kind of had to spread it into the mold rather than pour it. It worked out alright though. I placed it in the oven over night and took it out the next morning. The smell is very similar to pancake batter. A very yeasty smell, for lack of a better term. I unmolded the soap that evening. I cut it into bars the next day. You can kind of see in the photos how the inside is a different color than the outside. This has now changed and it is one uniform color. The best way to describe the color is fleshy. The smell has dissipated more, to be honest I am hoping it goes away completely. We will see and I will keep you updated. The nice thing is, with it smelling like it does I am not overly excited to use it at the moment so at least that urge isn't over taking me, lol. I thought this might be a good Halloween soap, you could make some fun packaging saying it is made of human flesh. It literally looks just like it.

Photos are below. Love to hear your feedback and will be sure to keep you posted. This is my Recipe #2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2uqfvpl.jpg

344bkug.jpg

2yzg0n4.jpg

Sorry about these images being crooked. I was having lots of problems uploading them. Hopefully it won't happen again. It would be great if these forums would host their own images.

If you think your friends will like beer and Crisco soap, then you should make a batch of beer and lard and then scent it with Bacon FO. :wink:

Your soap looks great, btw.

eta: Yep, beer smells nasty in soap but the funky scent will fade during curing.

Dennis said:
Don't say it, Hazel! :wink:

Huh? Say what?

Dirty Piglet Soap is a great name. Wish I'd thought of it. Congrats on your first batch. You'll be hooked soon if not already.
And memphishiker, congrats on your upcoming wedding. Have you though about soap as wedding favors?

You're right, it does look like flesh! I've only made 2 batches of beer soap. They came out beer brown and even though I used fragrance oils, I can still smell that yeasty smell over the fragrance 3-4 months later. My oldest son loves it! He said the lather is unbelievable and asked for more when he came to visit.

Latest posts

Back