Dipropylene Glycol VS Propylene Glycol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwilson9

Reaction score
What is the purpose of these ingredients in a bath bomb? Have you/ do you use them? Why/Why not? How much do you use?

I’ll be interested to here what others say, as I don’t use either of those in my BBs, nor have I heard of anyone else doing so. I do know that PG is typically used as a solvent for making M&P base, and transparent soap. An important consideration is that (rightly or not) it is a disfavored ingredient for the “natural” folks.

Personally, unless there is a really good reason for adding an ingredient, I don't. I prefer to keep it simple for ease of formulation, ease on my wallet, and avoiding stuff that may cause negative health effects.

Last edited:
Great informational article, @Arimara, thank you! I looked up her bath bombs, and she doesn't include propylene glycol in any of them.

@Dwilson9 I've never seen propylene glycol in any bath bomb recipe. By any chance, did you mean to ask about polysorbate 80, aka PS80? That's a very common BB ingredient that solubilizes the oils and colorants so that they disperse well in the water, and rinse easily off the tub. Without PS80, the oil will pool on top of the bath water, and the colors will stick terribly to the tub and to your skin.

Nope. And I won't buy anything where they are listed in the ingredients. Nasty stuff, IMO and IME.
I think I should explain myself. I happen to be allergic to propylene glycol. It irritates my skin and causes a rash. This may not be true for others, but I avoid it like the plague.

What is the purpose of these ingredients in a bath bomb?

The Environmental Working Group, EWG Skin Deep, is a good source for info on many, many ingredients and products. You may want to bookmark it for future reference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back