difference in lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
is there a difference in lather between an un-gelled soap versus a gelled one? I just had a friend tell me that one of my first bars that I made (and I got a partial gel) had the best lather of any of my soaps she has tried.

I have not noticed any difference in lather between my gelled and ungelled soap. I put my milk soaps in the freezer to prevent gel and the lather seems pretty good. I would think that the ingredients have more to do with lather than gelling.

Last edited:
I'd bet more on the age of the soap having a lot to do with the improvement in lather quality.

Early on in my soaping misadventures, I made a high lard soap that didn't lather well after the usual 4-6 week cure. I was so frustrated! I stuck the bars in a dark corner and promptly forgot about them. About a year later, I rediscovered the bars and was ready to pitch them, but decided to use one to wash my hands just out of curiosity. It lathered really well. Lesson learned -- sometimes patience is the most valuable ingredient in a soap.

that's what I was thinking--the only thing I did different was that I used olive oil instead of the safflower oil. I still have a bar or two of what she was talking about maybe I need to do my own testing

I'd bet more on the age of the soap having a lot to do with the improvement in lather quality.

Early on in my soaping misadventures, I made a high lard soap that didn't lather well after the usual 4-6 week cure. I was so frustrated! I stuck the bars in a dark corner and promptly forgot about them. About a year later, I rediscovered the bars and was ready to pitch them, but decided to use one to wash my hands just out of curiosity. It lathered really well. Lesson learned -- sometimes patience is the most valuable ingredient in a soap.

that makes more sense!!! thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back