Deodorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheirenya

Reaction score
I'm interested to make my own deodorant, but I have few questions.
How long it will last usable? Does it need some preservatives? Anyone have good recipe? :eek:

I have a fantastic formula. I put a preservative in mine, even tho it's anhydrous and unlikely to support growth. But the formula isn't something I care to share - it's the result of a lot of research and work and not something I part with lightly. There's a lot of information available so I suggest you can find what you need.

Here is one that I am working on.... I still have to perfect it. It gets really hard so I am looking at maybe sub. a softer butter for the cocoa. Maybe coconut?? Not sure yet. Anyhow good luck! Let us know how it turns out! :D

3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
2 vitamin E oil gel caps

I tried one with shea, cocoa, coconut, olive oils, baking soda and cornstarch. I hasn't gotten hard, but has a paste like consistency. I'm not sure what went wrong. I had hoped to pour it into a deodorant tube. Any ideas?

ewenique said:
I tried one with shea, cocoa, coconut, olive oils, baking soda and cornstarch. I hasn't gotten hard, but has a paste like consistency. I'm not sure what went wrong. I had hoped to pour it into a deodorant tube. Any ideas?

If it is not hard... you need to increase your hard butter (or add wax) and/or decrease your soft butter and/or oils.

You just have to play with it untill it is the texture you like.

I had thought that the cocoa, shea, and coconut would've been hard enough, but apparantly not. The oil/butter proportions were 4:1:1:1, but the deodorant still works just fine.

You need to add some beeswax - use the same standard as solid lotion bars - 1/3 beeswax - 1/3 hard oils - 1/3 soft oils....

There are ingredients that you can add that will help with dryness as well as ingredients that will go after the bacteria which cause odor....

Good luck...experimentation is the best way to work your way through this....

Latest posts

Back