Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your dental soap looks very nice. In the past I have shaved and then sprinkle unscented soap on my toothbrush but cant get use to the taste of soap in my mouth, I know it is better but bad habits of using toothpaste die hard. Maybe next time I will scent with peppermint oil so it will be more toothpaste scent like.

Your dental soap looks very nice. In the past I have shaved and then sprinkle unscented soap on my toothbrush but cant get use to the taste of soap in my mouth, I know it is better but bad habits of using toothpaste die hard. Maybe next time I will scent with peppermint oil so it will be more toothpaste scent like.

I understand that the bad taste of soap comes from coconut oil. I haven't used any in this soap and the taste is not bad at all, quite bland. I gave my recipe on the first post: it was 85% extra virgin olive oil and 15% cocoa butter, plus peppermint and fennel EOs.

I quit having the fluoride treatments about two years ago and my dentist didn't bat an eyelash. I have been making my own toothpaste for almost a year and when I told him about it, he thought it was pretty cool. He has never given me any grief about the lack of fluoride and is always complimentary at my appointments.
In the interest of fairness I have to say that I haven't noticed any difference in my health without the fluoride.

I quit having the fluoride treatments about two years ago and my dentist didn't bat an eyelash. I have been making my own toothpaste for almost a year and when I told him about it, he thought it was pretty cool. He has never given me any grief about the lack of fluoride and is always complimentary at my appointments.
In the interest of fairness I have to say that I haven't noticed any difference in my health without the fluoride.

Is your water fluoridated?

after only 10 days curing, i did a tongue test, no zap, and took a bite with me to the basin. hmmm, it was bland alright. i can smell the peppermint, but no taste whatsoever. it was just, blah.

next time, i will put more xylitol and more peppermint. i am used to the minty taste of commercial tooth paste. i want to at least taste it a bit with the tooth soap.

Seven, how much mint did you put in? I bought some wintergreen eo today and plan to make some tooth soap this weekend. I'll have .5 oz for 1 lb of soap. is that what you had?

neeners, i admit, i didn't remember exactly how much i used :D it was pretty small amount as i was using a pipette. my batch was a tiny one (200 grams oils) and if memory serves me right, i was using one shot of pipette (not full amount, about 2ml). my peppermint eo was a cheap one, and so i was a bit wary of using the normal amount as i would to normal cp soap.

but yeah, i reckon i should use a bit more. i am still getting used to the 'blah' taste of the tooth soap..

Does anyone know if neem oil tastes bad? How much should I put in if I wanted to use some? Would 5% be too much?

(I don't mind the smell of Neem. I don't find it all that offensive. To me the absolute worst smelling soap ingredient EVER is patchouli. Yuck!)

Last edited:

I gave up fluoride about 4 years ago. My dentists also stopped routine fluoride treatments about that time. Our water is not fluoridated, and there is no natural fluoride in our water.

I haven't had a cavity or any issues at all, and haven't had any cavities or fillings or even more than a routine cleaning in about 30 years. I think I had something about 28 years ago, maybe a filling?, but nothing memorable.

My dental health is perfect, and I go in for cleanings every 6 months. This last time, I was told I can go a year because I"m "not building up" (I assume plaque?) and my gums are perfect. I will be 50 in a couple of months.

I think the health concerns with fluoride are valid, and will not use fluoridated toothpaste or water, or rinses or such. I think that this is one of those things that everyone should research and decide about, especially if you have an old-school type of dentist.

No, my water is not fluoridated, we have our own well. It takes very little time to clean my teeth and I freely admit to not brushing and flossing as regularly as I should. As I understand it, the real culprit in tooth decay is the bacteria, get rid of the bacteria and you don't get plaque. So, one of my goals in my oral-care products was something that would reduce the bacteria. Oregano oil is very anti-bacterial but can weaken dental bond products so I only use one drop in my rinse and cut it out of my paste. Thieves oil is a good blend, it can be expensive but you really only want a tiny bit--just a drop or two in 16 oz of rinse but if you don't like the cinnamon/clove spice thing, it's not for you. The beauty thing about the EOs is that so many of them have good properties, you should be able to find something in a flavor you like. But if not, by all means, use a flavor oil.
And to be honest, my doctor is a physician-assistant with a degree in naturopathic medicine and I have a friend who is certified to advise on EOs and herbal remedies so I had good sources for helping me if I had questions about what to use and what to avoid.
In the end, what you have to do is figure out what you are comfortable with, do some research, and then stay with what feels right for YOU.

I went down to the library which is subscribed to EbscoHOST, a scholarly research database, and found three research studies that proved fluoride doesn't benefit oral health. Unless my dentist can show me research that proves otherwise, I won't use fluoride. Although, they keep sending me home with fluoride suckers. There are no benefit for the risks to out weigh; it's just toxic.

I went down to the library which is subscribed to EbscoHOST, a scholarly research database, and found three research studies that proved fluoride doesn't benefit oral health. Unless my dentist can show me research that proves otherwise, I won't use fluoride. Although, they keep sending me home with fluoride suckers. There are no benefit for the risks to out weigh; it's just toxic.

I here ya sistah!

They would make us rinse with it in school. I felt sick every time we would do that. And no I did not swallow it.
I know I'm crazy but I swear it gave me stomach problems and made me feel very ill for the longest time when I was young. I am not a doctor and I have no proof and I sound more like paranoid conspiracy theorist. But that is my feeling. Once again not factual.

I am liking using tooth soap so far. Am going for my next dental check in 6 months and i have a couple of very small cavities. Let's see what the dentist says..

Neeners, you should look into wintergreen EO. It can be quite toxic. I would be very cautious about using it in any quantity for use in the mouth. I don't know if the old wintergreen gum used real wintergreen EO, but there are lots of cautions out there about it.

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/essential-oils/wintergreen-essential-oil.html

Neeners I had a cousin die from taking wintergreen internally. Incredibly toxic...

wow! good thing I checked here before making some. I was looking around before I bought it, and no where did I see those warnings. i'll get all my soap making items prepped and ready and go find me some peppermint instead. thanks for the warning.

For tge 1st time since using the tooth soap, i was gagging badly and nearly throw up, oops! Guess i was craving for the usual minty taste, and all i tasted was soap :( def more peppermint and xylitol next time...

Does anyone know if neem oil tastes bad? How much should I put in if I wanted to use some? Would 5% be too much?

(I don't mind the smell of Neem. I don't find it all that offensive. To me the absolute worst smelling soap ingredient EVER is patchouli. Yuck!)

from what I hear, neem is very bitter. not sure how it tastes, but I was using a natural toothpaste with neem in it, but I couldn't taste anything....

Back