Dental soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeling sort of dumb here, but if you use 90% OO and 10% CO and superfat between 1%-3%, what exactly makes it "tooth soap" as opposed to just CP soap? Or can any CP soap be used as tooth soap? Since I've never heard of this before, I'm just trying to understand :) Thanks!

Feeling sort of dumb here, but if you use 90% OO and 10% CO and superfat between 1%-3%, what exactly makes it "tooth soap" as opposed to just CP soap? Or can any CP soap be used as tooth soap? Since I've never heard of this before, I'm just trying to understand :) Thanks!

You are right. I suppose you could call it "CP soap" because that's what it is. The only thing is that it does not taste of soap as such and therefore it feels OK to use in the mouth. From what I read, it is the coconut oil that gives it a very soapy taste. I did not use any CO in my dental soap. I read about the benefits of using this type of soap and thought that I would give it a try.

Whenever I use straight baking soda my teeth come out ultra bright white. It's unbelievable the difference in just one brush! (baking soda is a light abrasive)
Try it!

After thinking about this, I grabbed a small bar of baby soap that is over a year old. It's 95% OO, 5% castor oil, no fragrance or additives.

It was ok, and my teeth felt really clean after using it but my husband didn't love it. He felt he needed something minty to feel his "mouth wake up". He did use the bar in the shower after that, and said he loved it for his hair and body! Go figure.

So I went ahead and did a 90% OO/ 10% Cocoa butter soap, 3% superfat (just to avoid accidentally being lye heavy) and added peppermint EO "to smell". After saponification, it doesn't smell much of mint at all, though. It's fairly firm today, and I might try a smidgen even though it's only two days old, just to see what I think.

I think I"ll do a baking soda brushing every third day or so, and keep using my waterpik twice per day.

I have been following this post for a while, and today I decided to try it. I have always hated the strong mint flavor of most tooth paste. I got out a "shampoo bar" that I made without any CO. I was surprised that it didn't taste like I expected it to. I guess I was expecting the "soap" taste from when I was a kid. Anyway, it didn't have any nastiness about it at all. It was pretty tasteless. My teeth feel like I have just left the dentist! I can't believe how clean they feel. There was no aftertaste at all. I think I need to make a plain batch just for teeth. :)

We've been using our regular charcoal soap for tooth cleaning and we love it, but then I thought I'd make a special tooth soap, so I upped the amount of coconut oil as it's really good for the teeth and gums in general, and put in a little neem oil and added tea tree and peppermint eos. Then I read more of this thread :( so the tooth soap is ready, and it does taste soapy, but not too bad. Maybe I've just got used to the neutral/slightly soapy taste of the charcoal soap and this one is just a step further along the soapy scale.

So my question is, if coconut oil is so good for the mouth, do enough of the qualities survive saponification to make its use worthwhile? I know we talk a lot about botanical properties surviving or not, but what about the oils themselves? Should I go for oils that are good in themselves for cleaning teeth and helping gums, or for the taste?

Thanks! Great thread.

Wow, I had never thought of using actual soap for my teeth, I'm going to have to try it! My teeth are probably not in best condition and I do brush twice a day, it should be fun to give the soap a go. Perhaps 90% OO and 10% shea butter... as that's what I have. Is anyone aware of oils other than coconut that might taste yuck?

I did a 90% OO 10% cocoa butter as described, with peppermint EOs.

The soap is young, but I tried it several times.

The good: mouth feels clean, doesn't taste bad at all, and no soapy taste
The not-so-good: the peppermint EO didn't survive the saponification process and so my husband says he "needs" mint flavor or something.

The next idea is HP, and adding flavor extracts when pouring. I had a mint extract that made great mint chocolate brownies, and that may work well.?!? Don't know.

But I have three small bars of the present tooth soap to use up first, unless I rebatch and try peppermint flavor extract now.

I really like a salt bar with tea tree oil but the flavor of the coconut oil is so foul, I had to stop using it. Thinking about making a salt bar with no coconut, I know it won't foam but it should still clean.

okay, i got really excited reading this thread, but i'm on holiday so i can't soap for a while. to appease my excitement, i decided to run to the nearest supermarket and grab myself a baking soda.

off i went to my house afterwards and started brushing my teeth. lo and behold, i read the box and it said: baking powder!

i have since run back to the supermarket and get the "proper" baking equipment :D :D

If you HP it then the flavour and scent will be added at the end. You can even add stevia to sweeten it a bit. Not sure if the taste would survive saponification.

You know what is funny. I have been using one of my CO salt bars for tooth soap for a over year now. No bad flavor at all. It was over a year old when I started using it and a large piece to boot. It has 40% CO in it with lard and almond oil plus salt. No FO at all. Do not even taste it. I use to use Plax before I brushed but do not anymore.

Lip balm flavor oils aren't actual flavor, if you tasted the lip balm with your tongue it wouldn't have a taste. They are just lip safe fragrance oils and the scent mimics taste (which happens in real eating/tasting because so much of taste is actually scent.) You can sweeten a lip balm flavor oil to improve actual taste if the lips are licked.

Would this work if I made it with KOH? I think a liquid soap would be easier to use than a bar. How do you use a dental bar? Bite a chunk off? I'm still confused about how this works!

You rub your wet tooth brush over the soap and then brush your teeth.

Do you have a seperate block of soap for each person then, so you're not all sharing your toothbrush?
Or do you not worry about it? (Maybe I am overthinking it?)

So I just whipped up a batch yesterday using the 90% olive oil and the 10% cocoa butter with a superfat of 3%. My thought process is that I can grate up a bar and mix it with baking soda to get the whitening action. If I end up liking the dental soap I want to try adding xylitol to the next batch because I read that it denies plaque bacteria, which can't be a bad thing.

Soap for cleaning tooth!! Haven't listened about if before. Wonder how it will be used to clean teeth, with help of brush? is there any special advantage to use dental soap in spite of toothpaste??

Back