Cutting Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true blue

Reaction score
Wow! I just made my first batch of soap in 7 years last night ... it's so good to be back to soaping!!!

So ... I just HAD to make salt bars ... and as I do OHP, I used the soap this morning ... nice! But ... how do you gals cut the bars without them going all weird? I used rock salt and the 'rocks' don't like to be cut - ha! Any tips on that?

I buy coarse sea salt because I can find it for a good price, but then I go trough the work of grinding it, until it is like table salt or finer. The coarse grains can be a bit much for showering, but I suppose they would be OK for a hand soap?

Last edited:
Hmm ... OK. Although I used it today, I used the puck I made out of the soap that stuck to the pan. When making it, the salt kind of migrated to the inside. I'm hoping the 'rocks' will dissolve with the water when showering, maybe adding a little scrub in the meantime. I guess we'll see.

I unmolded and cut at about 2 hrs ... the only 'crumblies' were due to the 'rocks' getting caught on the slicer. :)

Salt_Bar2_14_Web.jpg

They look really good, congratulations on great timing for the cut!

One use I love for salt bars is next to the sink, because they do not need to dry completely between uses like most other CP soaps. They do not get 'gooey' ever. If the salt grains are too abrasive for showering you might prefer it next to your sink as a hand soap. Then next time grind the salt or use a finer grained salt.

Latest posts

Back