Cutting and unmolding

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetHoneyHandmade

Reaction score
7AA3E7E8-87D8-4E9C-98B7-1FC0303A30C1.jpeg
Do you cut your bars at the same time you unmolded them, or do you wait a bit before cutting?

I’ve just made *my* most beautiful soap yet and I don’t want to ruin it by cutting too early. Here’s the end of the loaf. It’s my first attempt at hanger swirls.

I usually wait a day or two before cutting, it all depends how soft it is when you unmould. Mine takes a while to firm up. If you can push your finger in the soap and it leaves a dent, then it's too soft to cut, or if you damage the soap when you pick it up, you'll have to wait. Firm and not sticky. It's just an experience thing, you learn as you go.

98347B93-239D-4AB2-9665-3474416BD71A.jpeg
Well. I should have waited. :(
I attempted to wire cut into it, and when it didn’t go clean to the bottom I went to grab a knife. As soon as I took a step away, the whole loaf fell off the stove and smooshed it... a little. I still cut it (with a knife this time) and managed to smoosh some of the edges back into place...

It’s beautiful and it smells good (elderflower spritz poptail from Aztec) and I love it and I’m disappointed in myself for my carelessness.

You'll know next time to leave it a couple of days to cut. Get it out of the mould, then forget about it. When first making soap I know I was impatient to cut.

Gorgeous swirl and love the colours you've chosen! I'm an impatient wee sausage too when it comes to cutting - especially when you have a lovely swirl that needs exposing. I usually wait about 12 hours after unmolding to cut, but depending on how firm it is, I might cut earlier.

If it's soft and dents or gives easily with finger pressure -- like refrigerator-cold cream cheese or brie -- wait for awhile.
If it's firm but yields a little to the touch -- like colby cheese or young cheddar cheese -- cut it soon.
If it's hard like aged cheddar or parmesan, you didn't cut it soon enough.

If it's soft and dents or gives easily with finger pressure -- like refrigerator-cold cream cheese or brie -- wait for awhile.
If it's firm but yields a little to the touch -- like colby cheese or young cheddar cheese -- cut it soon.
If it's hard like aged cheddar or parmesan, you didn't cut it soon enough.
Very understandable reference and guide, thank you!!

Latest posts

Back