curing first batch - shaky start

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt4889

Reaction score
Made my first batch today. Olive oil/Coconut Oil. Did the calculations, followed a recipe, everything went smooth. Trace came slower than I thought but did eventually come. mixed in a few oats, honey, Lavender and Tea Tree EO. Poured into the mold and it looked very smooth and even. Covered with towels...when I checked on it about 30 minutes later I see this. The center had sunk (or maybe the edges rose or both). Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

10430915_10204242348113235_7104586906673423670_n.jpg

I would guess it started to overheat which is easy to do when a recipe has added sugar. If you use honey again, don't wrap it with towels. It might not look so good on top but it looks like it should be ok as long as it stays solid inside.

Agree..looks like an overheat. It may surprise you once it's cut. Whatever happens, don't be deterred...everything will become easier as you continue to make more and more, and become assimilated like the rest of us here :lol:

Agreed on all points. A sunken center is usually a pretty good sign of overheating. The loaf will mound up in the center while hot, then collapse in on you.

Obsidian is right on the money about the honey. :)

The first time a batch over heated on me I used Lavender FO, I have had such bad luck with every floral scent I have used and I soap cool, throw it in the freezer for a couple of hours, then let it sit with a fan on it. The last time I used Jasmine Fo the I kept the batch from over heating but it smelled like a combo of socks worn for a month, I had to toss it but have no idea what happened.:Kitten Love:

Im with Relle..try another batch with no additives..once you discover how soap behaves when its being good, you will be able to handle issues better when they crop up..and crop up they will ;) Do plain ones a few times.

Then as you get more familiar, start by adding one more thing with each batch and see how that acts.

Back