Crystal Power

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMakingTommy

Reaction score
Lol, yes i know what a odd title for my thread. Well i am a crystal fan and have been collecting and enjoying my crystals for many years. I Know there is not much nutrition in them but i have some powdered crystal/minerals and im thinking of adding it to one of my soaps in the future.
I am curious to see what you guys think about this idea, and have you seen it before?

Last edited:
Interesting idea.

I have never seen crystal powder, so I have to ask, would it be scratchy? Would it be harmful to use around the eyes?

On a side note, I have seen some lovely melt and pour crystal shaped soaps, look like real crystals only larger.

I would be concerned about sharp edges. If the powder has smooth edges though, I don't see why it can't be used for extra scrubby like pumice powder is.

is this powder expensive? i tried to do a google search on this topic but found none so far. am really curious too...

lol guys, i really did mean to call it "Crystal Power", there is some metaphysical properties and holistic beliefs that go with crystals so thats why i called it so.
I will make one more post after with some pictures for you guys to compare and see what im working with.
Mel z there is some concern for me as to how safe this is, and from my view at the moment i find it to be safe but proper care should be taken. A lot of powders are harmful to the respiratory and sinus, eyes... proper safety should be used just like when mixing handling lye. Im guessing once its in the soap its chances of being harmful would be minimized to only internal exposure, so it be best to either not use it on the face or just be aware, i doubt you would wash your face with soap with your eyes open anyways. I would love to hear everyone else thoughts on this.
Seven the powder is not expensive at all, the crystals are not expensive but the they go up as there are variations change, inclusions and termination points and breaks and even just the shape and color. You might be able to find some searching for orgone supply's. In a sense the soap can be a orgone due to the pressure on the crystal creating piezoelectric charge in the soap during cooling. But thats off topic.

Last edited:
So here are some pictures, from the looks both are a fine powder the quartz crystal is more fine like chalk then the selenite which is a big more shard like.

I would love to hear more of your thoughts.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1392395419.222633.jpg ImageUploadedBySoap Making1392395450.755557.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1392395466.890526.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1392395534.575526.jpg My cat says hi =D

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySoap Making1392395495.805769.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySoap Making1392395495.805769.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Lol ... as a cat owner, your cat does not say hi, he says bye. I'm curious about this crystal so I'll be following.

I don't think I'd do it. Crystals are very sharp by nature. Even coffee or charcoal can be too scratchy. I think this could have the capacity to be very damaging to people's soft parts.

I think that powdered quartz would be similar to powdered glass, and that kinda freaks me out in a soap! Isnt quartz pretty hard on the mohs scale? Yeah just checked - quartz is 7 on the mohs scale and glass is 6-7. That would kind of freak me out, washing my face with tiny shards of something like that, no matter how finely ground.

Last edited:
I think there are some good points that have been made, I am open to all sides but i wanted to share something i read and then something i compared with what i heard on this thread.

This was the only website i was able to find anything relevant and interesting to what i was looking for.
http://www.essence-of-mineral-makeup.com/silica.html
Basically talks about how quartz is mostly silca and how it is or can be used on cosmetics.

Someone said danger of it being the mohs, somone else said that pumice has been used, so i looked up the mohs of pumice and found out they are pretty close, based on that i am at the moment concluding that the mohs dont necessarily mean they would pose greater risk then other additives.

I am going to guess there are other attributes that might need to be considered to evaluate the damage to skin and the benefits to it.
Possibly the crystalline structure for one.

Last edited:
Please tell me the crystal substance your kitty is on is in a bag? I would be very, very concerned about the kitty or anyone else breathing in the dust, thinking it might be like silica or even asbestos, and extremely dangerous to breathe. Very handsome kitty, BTW.

Ah, I see it's inside some kind of quilted thing. But along that note, if you do use it in soap or for whatever purpose, I would wear a face mask to avoid breathing any of it.

Please tell me the crystal substance your kitty is on is in a bag? I would be very, very concerned about the kitty or anyone else breathing in the dust, thinking it might be like silica or even asbestos, and extremely dangerous to breathe. Very handsome kitty, BTW.

Ah, I see it's inside some kind of quilted thing. But along that note, if you do use it in soap or for whatever purpose, I would wear a face mask to avoid breathing any of it.

What do you mean, my kitty is just on my bed, the crystal powder i took pictures of was on a paper, But as i mentioned before i pointed out the dangerous i was aware of including the possibility of it being harmful as a powder and it being airborne.

I dont know where you got the asbestos from i guess if your buying your crystals form home depot, lol

If i am missing something please fill me in.

Thanks my kitty is my precious, i take care of it better then i take care of myself. lol sometimes ;)

OK, alarm bells silenced, sounds like you've got it all under control What a sweet kitty - I know, our animals get better care than we do, or at least certainly more expensive care at the vets :)

Back