crumbly soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I made a soap that it cracked on the top like a cobblestone pavement and when I took it out of the molds it broke up and it also expanded in the mold (I actually used two different molds and the single mold is the one it raised out of it a bit) its the recipe I always use and I tested it for zap and didn't feel anything. what else could cause this? I thought I left out some of the oil but wouldn't it be zappy?

Some fragrances cause the soap to heat like crazy. Was it a new fragrance?

no its a FO I have used quite a bit and I don't think it over heated either--it is kinda chalky looking. I had thought I didn't use enough oil which to my thinking would make it look chalky and dry but I though it would be zappy. its only 2 days old and no zap

still to dark to take outside pics but I am wondering if this could happen with a soap that isn't gelled and cut too soon?
I have been doing research on here

I had something similar happen a year or so ago. I used a recipe I've made frequently, and for some reason it looked like it traced much faster than usual. I was afraid it was going to seize, so I poured it into the mold.

After a bit of googling around it seems I might have hit false trace for some reason. The soap was super crumbly and the first batch I've ever actually thrown away. It didn't zap, but was too crumbly and even the pieces had a "dusty" texture. Maybe this is similar to what you are seeing?

maybe--I usually mix to emulsion real light trace. I threw some of the single molds into the freezer and took them out this morning and unmolded (of course frozen they came out ok) but looking at them they appear to have separated part way down which would explain why they rose up a bit. I just remade and put them on a cooling rack so the bottom isn't sitting on something. I am also wondering if I used to much mica?? I gotta take some pics

sorry for so many pics but I wanted to show it all 20191028_104703.jpg 20191028_104717.jpg 20191028_104721.jpg 20191028_104726.jpg

Wow! Even got some crystals growing in the fault line. I haven't experienced that one yet, but I'm sure I'll get there ;)

Sorry I can't help solve your problem but looks like @dndlyon gave a good answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! Mine looked just like the unicorn soap you posted. And although I thought it was going to seize fast, after pouring it was clear it was either a thin emulsion or not emulsified well (the batter thinned out and had a sheen to it that looked a bit like the oil wasn't mixed in). Not sure if we had the same thing happen - just wanted to share my thoughts, and looking forward to hearing the experts chime in :)

Latest posts

Back