Cream & Sugar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazer44

Reaction score
I have been soaping for quite some time, but have been thinking about adding cream to my soap. I have heard that it adds a creaminess to your soaps. What I am trying to figure out, is how much do you typically add? I know I need to replace water with it, (I plan to add at trace). Also, does it shorten the life of your soap's shelf life?

One more question - does sugar really make a difference in lather? Does it shorten shelf life?

Thanks in advance!

I'm kind of new but found this which seems to agree with allot of posts here.
"8 to 8.5 oz. of goat’s milk is substituted for every 6 oz. of water. Buttermilk can be used in place of any milk or water." - North country soap making library

I have added the balance in buttermilk after 38% water calculation from soapcalc after subtracting the water it takes to make an equal water + NaOH solution. Did that make sense?

Not sure about the shelf life. Opinions seem to be all over the board on that.

I always run my recipes through SoapCalc. If it calls for 10 oz of liquid, do not increase the liquid. If you want to add cream at thin trace, then dissolve the lye using water as 1/2 or 2/3 of the liquid and use cream as the other part, adding it at thin trace. I have never had a problem with the shelf life of my cream or milk soaps. Try a small batch and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back