Cream of Tartar Substitute?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I want to make solid bubble bars but cream of tarter is just too dang expensive. Alternatively, a recipe without cream of tarter would be ok too.

Well poopy, guess I'll have to hit up the bulk store and see if I can find some thats some what decently priced. I suppose another option it to find a different use for my SLSA.

You can use citric acid instead of cream of tartar, but the bars won't be quite as malleable when shaping them. Good luck with your bars.

I made my bubble bath bombs today using citric acid. Everything seems to have went well, the ingredients mixed up easy enough though rolling it up was a pain. Colored purple and scented with huckleberry fo.
Clean up was very bubbly:)

Will do. What kind of issues did you have with the citric acid? My mix was really soft, I was able to get it rolled into a log and sliced but now the slices have flattened out like a big soft cookie. If I make a second batch, I think I will use less glycerin.

Will do. What kind of issues did you have with the citric acid? My mix was really soft, I was able to get it rolled into a log and sliced but now the slices have flattened out like a big soft cookie. If I make a second batch, I think I will use less glycerin.

Yup pretty much what happened, they would not harden properly. I also tried using citric once for play dough when I was out of cream of tartar and it liquified in a couple of days. There really is not a substitute for cream of tartar that I have found

That ended up being a disaster. I plopped the slices into silicone muffin liners to try and contain them and the batter grew up and over the muffin tin. No matter how much I punch the batter down, it quickly raises like a bread dough. Ended up putting it all into a plastic tub and will scoop it out as needed.
Not sure if the citric acid made it worse or what but I used some of the batter last night, it bubbled up good and left a nice scent but I felt sticky and nasty afterwards. I ended having to shower and wash the residue off with a salt bar.

Latest posts

Back