Crayons in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapscience

Reaction score
I've noticed many soapers have used wax crayons in soap with success. I have used crayons many times with no problems whatsoever. Many sources mention that it is not safe though. Does anyone know a scientific reason for this? Would like to hear about the chemistry behind it.

Crayons are not approved as a cosmetic ingredient by the FDA.
So selling soap colored with crayons is illegal and in my opinion there are much better options available.

Okay, that brings up a question; is it just that the crayon manufacturers won't shell out for an FDA approval, or is there something else? I know that crayons are generally considered safe for kids of any age, so I find it hard to believe there's something in the crayons that's actually damaging to your skin.

Why would the FDA feel the need to approve Crayola's product when it's not a food, drug or cosmetic?
Crayons are basically paraffin wax and pigments. Can't say if the pigments would be suitable for cosmetic use but I'd never add paraffin to my soap anyway.
Tests on rats, cats and dogs have proved that crayons shouldn't be harmfull to small children when rubbed on the skin or digested

Latest posts

Back