Crackled look to cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katz2711

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I made this soap yesterday and it has this strange crackled look to it if you look closely (hope the picture is good enough). The little cracks look translucent.

I did not keep the soap warm in order to gel. It has coconut milk in it so I put it briefly in the fridge to keep the temperature down. After molding it had a temperature of about 110-115F.

Anybody have input on what could have happened?

I was so annoyed because I used a new silicone mold for the first time and the bottom of the loaf stuck to the mold! Will definitely add salt or sodium lactate to this recipe next time and throw in the freezer before unmolding.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1413227477.758055.jpg

Last edited:
Thats called glycerin rivers or steric crackle. It has a number of causes, anywhere to overheating to using titanium dioxide. Its harmless, just a cosmetic issue.

Thanks, so glad it's just cosmetic. I used titanium dioxide in the soap. Any way to prevent this if TD is the cause?

Do you use full water? There is evidence that using less water will help prevent crackle, especially when using TD. Keeping soap cool helps but that can be difficult when using additives that heat up.

I did use full water, meaning 2/3 dest. water and then 1/3 coconut milk added to the oils, so about 7 oz water and 3 oz coconut milk. What would you recommend instead?

When I calculate my recipe on soapcalc, I change the water setting to ratios and use 2:1. Its usually only a couple ounces less per batch but I see a big difference.

I like the rivers - I think it compliments the swirl. :)

On the subject of glycerin rivers, I read somewhere that gelling/high temps can cause them. Does that sound accurate? I've been preventing gel on my first few batches.... I am pretty heavy-handed with the TD and haven't seen any yet.

I like the rivers - I think it compliments the swirl. :)

On the subject of glycerin rivers, I read somewhere that gelling/high temps can cause them. Does that sound accurate? I've been preventing gel on my first few batches.... I am pretty heavy-handed with the TD and haven't seen any yet.

Thanks for your experience. I haven't done a batch that was prevented from gelling, will try. :wink:

My soap sticks to new silicone molds the first couple of times I use them. It's like they need to get "seasoned" and then they release easier.

I've noticed that the times when I get the crackled look are when my soap with TD has thickened up too fast and/or gelled too hot, but only with certain FOs oddly enough.

Kentish Rain from BB is one that comes to mind. It's one of my favorite FOs, but I need to be mindful of my oven temp when I stick it in there to gel. The first time I ever soaped it, it moved really fast on me and gelled too hot, and some of the finished bars had clear glycerin spots that made it look like raindrops were splattered on it. It was actually pretty darn cool looking. I still have a bar leftover that I am loathe to ever use or part with because of how cool one of the glycerin raindrops looks. It's in the shape a perfectly formed tear.

IrishLass :)

The only way I've been able to keep the white TD areas from crackling is to stick the soap in the freezer to prevent gel. But, alas.. no more room in the freezer and I'm looking for a work around. I detest using TD :(

Thanks for your advice everyone! Can't wait until this soap is cured. It smells like Hazelnut Toffee...Yum!

I switched froom water soluble TD to oil suluble one and crackling I get now is minimal, usually on end bits if soap that don't fully gel. So complete opposite to what some soapers say. :S
I reduce water a lot as well as I heard that might hell. I also had few other oxide based colours crackle when dispersed in water. I had green and purple one that I bought from local supplier and stopped jsing them because they would crackle like crazy. Now I only used colours that disperse in oil.

Latest posts

Back