CPoP salt bar help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlicesWonderhands

Reaction score
I used 100% coconut oil, 20% super fat. 16 oz oil/16 oz salt
Been in the oven 1 hr. Think it got too hot. Turned oven off (was around 170) and left soap in the oven. Still not set. Dont salt bars set up fast? I feel like some things wrong...

Take it out so it can start to cool and set. The salt generally hides the gel but I'm sure its done by now. My salt bars never set as fast as other peoples seem to, I usually have to wait 4-5 hours before I can cut. Just keep a close eye on it, as soon as its firm enough to unmold and cut, do so. Mine are still quite soft when I cut, use a gentle hand.

I totally agree with Obsidian, do not cpop salt bars. The only I do is if I forget and discount water with my favorite fo for salt bars that accelerates badly. I then put them in the oven to melt them down and let them reset. Unlike Obsidian I cut my salt bars in 75-90 minutes. I never let them go any longer

I do CPOP mine, but I also use a silicon cavity mold and they don't seem to gel otherwise. And I don't have to worry about cutting at all.

I don't CPOP mine either unless using individual molds then I just put them in a warm over turned off. I find my salt bars need to be cut in 3-4 hours, probably because I only use 50% salt most times.

doing CPOP doesn't lessen the need for a proper cure. No matter how handmade soap is made, it needs to properly cure. Salt bar do best with at least 8 weeks in my experience, longer is even better.

They have to cure for weeks regardless. Oven processing doesn't change that. It just speeds up saponification. A salt bar is awful to use early, IMHO. It definitely needs the cure time.

Omg, lol! We have been using them and are in LOVE! I can't imagine they get any better! Looking fwd to that! ( I'll set some aside to cure!)

Back