CP vs. HP (for the more experienced)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were told you had to pick one over the other which one would it be?

• Cold Process

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hot process

• Cold Process

• Total voters
G

I searched but found nothing like this so here's a poll which hopefully hasn't been done.

I personally have only ever made cold process soap but lately I've been rather tempted to get a crock pot. Somethings I've read about the essential oils not surviving enough through saponification (in CP) and the fact that it takes less time are making HP seem more appealing.

Have you switched from one and never looked back?

Do tell

l started out with CP, but gee right now l could easily switch to HP and stay there for good! l am loving the instant gratification of knowing my soap is totally ok to use straightaway, (even if it isn't hard enough). l'm not missing the fragrance issues, fast trace & temp issues etc of CP. l do miss detailed swirling and lovely textured tops though. My favourite goats milk soap is also CP, l doubt very much l could duplicate it in HP and get the same look. lt's a really tough call. My customers l think would miss the 'artiness' of CP soaps...and that's probably the only reason l'll keep doing them.

I bought a new crockpot last week, and have made 4 batches of HP in it, no food whatsoever LOL :roll:

I'm exactly the opposite. I started with Melt & pour, moved on to crock pot HP, because I'm a tad impatient, then tried my hand at Cp & I love the CP. To me there's something about CP soap that I just can't quite put my finger on, but I love it!

gosh , i so love both, i started out hp, then cp and i do both, i hate waiting for the cure time of cp, but love the smooth bars, but i also love the rustic look of hp, so i dont have a fav!

Me....I started with CP, moved on to HP, and will eventually try MP. :lol: Figures I would do it backwards to most people.

I tried MP years and years ago - I now do CP and occassionally HP - but I really love the way a CP bar feels......

I love cp because I can get a smoother more detail swirl. But I recently tried cphp and love it oo. The instant gratification! and it was sooooo easy! I will admit though that I'll probably use cp more often because I love 'decorating' my soaps. Swirling and such. Then again there are some that will just look really good in the crock pot....like today I'm going to make Oatmeal Milk & Honey. The rougher texter will look cool:)

Have fun, try them all!

CP for me ,I have tried hp and just prefer making it cold process.I do CPOP sometimes if I am in a hurry.

Kitn

I use the biodiesel glycerin byproduct for both my bar and liquid soaps. I like the hot process because I know my soap is not caustic hot or too superfatted. And I can use it right away!

I started with CP, and then when I discovered HP I never looked back. Sometimes do CPOP when I need to work with a detailed mould, but I just prefer to cook because then I know what I am going to get. HP works much better for adding nutrients, because they can be added after cook and don't get digested and stinky from lye. :)

I mainly do CP but have done HP few times - mostly to save my CP batches that went wonky.

I like the texture of HP and the nice bubbles I get from it (for some reason the same batch of soap lathers nicer for me when it's HP'd) - butttttt I like having fun with swirls and stuff in CP.

Even though HP is "ready" right away, I still don't like using it until it's had a few weeks to harden up.

Back