CP Soap Sugar Scrub Cubes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Genny - I would love to try this too, so just want to make sure I have the right idea - you take soap you made yesterday, if it's not soft enough you melt it a bit with your oil, then do you just mix those with the sugar? Do you knead them together until they are well mixed then make the cute little balls? To use I assume you pull one out and scrub with it? I gotta' try this.

Genny - I would love to try this too, so just want to make sure I have the right idea - you take soap you made yesterday, if it's not soft enough you melt it a bit with your oil, then do you just mix those with the sugar? Do you knead them together until they are well mixed then make the cute little balls? To use I assume you pull one out and scrub with it? I gotta' try this.

Yes to all those questions.

I like the individual sugar scrubs so much better than the sugar scrub stuff you scoop out of jars. For one thing, the scrubs have soap in them so you don't feel as oily when done. They exfoliate well and moisturize, but they're not oily feeling. Plus, my experience with the kind you scoop is that water gets in the jar because it's usually kept it in the shower and then before long it's all icky. The scrubs I leave on the vanity and just grab one as I'm getting into the shower. My daughter has drier skin than me so she prefers the scoopable kind. To each her own! :)

I made some of these with oatmeal honey soap I had. I used part oil/part butter, sugar, and the soap. When I got it all blended, I swear it looked like german chocolate frosting! I put it in ice cube trays but was unable to pack it because it was pretty 'runny'. They set up fine, but are not overly pretty. However, I have used one and loved it.

There are holes in the bottoms where they did not get pressed in the mold good. Should these be pretty stiff when they are first made? There is no way I could have done the cookie scoop trick on these. Also, are all the measurments done by weight like everything else? Thanks! I want to do these again!

I do mine all by weights. Mine are hard enough right away to be able to roll them around in sugar without them falling apart.

When you say oatmeal honey soap that you had, you're talking CP that was freshly made?

Genny, No it was not fresh. It was actually about 4 weeks old. I grated it, but did not melt it. I just heated it a little to get it softer and mixed it with my oil/butter and sugar.

Perhaps I need to add more sugar.

I made some soap over the weekend just to make these balls, after less than 24 hrs it was pretty hard, but I was able to mash it up and mix in the oil and sugar - that's when I discovered that I was almost out of sugar and didn't have enough to do the entire loaf like I planned (bummer). So made what I could with the amount of sugar I had. When I got them mixed up the were like really sticky cookie dough but I was able to scoop and plop into the sugar to roll them around. I have them out drying now. Every time I look at them I think of sugar cookies - the kind you make into balls and roll in sugar just before putting in the oven. I didn't realize when I made the soap and used just a touch of coral coloring and wild mountain honey scent that they would look and smell like cookies! I have to be careful not to pop one into my mouth when I turn them. Now that I have more sugar I want to make the rest of the loaf into the balls and after letting them cure give them to my testers and see how they like them. I did try with some of the scrapings from the bowl and liked the feel of them that soon, so I have to think they will be heaven in 6 weeks. Thank you Genny for posting this, I can't wait for them to be ready.

Genny, No it was not fresh. It was actually about 4 weeks old. I grated it, but did not melt it. I just heated it a little to get it softer and mixed it with my oil/butter and sugar.

Perhaps I need to add more sugar.

Yeah, I always found that when using older soap the finished scrubs were much softer & mushy so instead of using oil with those, I used shea butter.

Hey Genny, I made some more sugar cube scrubs yesterday. I used your formula and some shredded oatmeal honey soap that was fully cured. What I did differently this time was finely shred the soap then melted it with my oils. I used a cookie scoop - that worked great! Since I used the oatmeal/honey soap, mine are the color of raw peanut butter cookies. After they had set for a while I rolled them in sugar. By the time hubby came home they looked like donut holes, just like you said. LOL he thought they were cookies that were ready to go in the oven. ( I had them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.) Yikes! Thank you so much for sharing and helping everyone!

I have been playing around with this idea for a bit. The overall texture of my sugar scrubs is like stiff waxy clay. When I use a scrub, it doesn't "smoosh" apart or crumble very well, so it's hard to use. I feel like I'm trying to smoosh and rub awkward rubbery clumps of stuff onto my skin rather than scrub my face with a nice paste.

Perhaps my scrubs need to cure a bit before use? Or am I just using them wrong? Or do I have unrealistic expectations? I really like this idea, but need some advice.

I'm throwing myself at your mercy by admitting this in public. I'm a nerdy girl and didn't learn about these finer things of life when I was younger. :)

DeeAnna <- feeling rather embarrassed and clueless..... :)

DeeAnna, though I cannot help with your scrub problems I can add that mine don't smoosh either! Over all I like them and have had great comments from testers, but I think they would be nicer and more effective if they were softer. I use the 1-2-3 (or is it 3-2-1 I forget at the moment) with cured shredded melted soap and Shea for the oil. They basically feel like sugared soap...hard

I'm having problems too, mine feel waxy and don't squish apart when you want them to. I also tried making a batch of sugar soap in a similar manner to making salt soap. I.e. adding sugar as a % of the oils to a batch of cold process soap and moulding it then curing it. It heated up too much and my white sugar went brown and I ended up with a sticky mess which is still curing but I think will still be too hard.

I'm having problems too, mine feel waxy and don't squish apart when you want them to. I also tried making a batch of sugar soap in a similar manner to making salt soap. I.e. adding sugar as a % of the oils to a batch of cold process soap and moulding it then curing it. It heated up too much and my white sugar went brown and I ended up with a sticky mess which is still curing but I think will still be too hard.

I used some left over soap from a batch that was a little too much for my mold and added sugar to it, put into a small mold and straight into the freezer to prevent it from heating.

Took them out the next morning and now waiting for them to finish curing. I have squeezed them lightly from time to time to see if they are hardening up and so far they have not gone too hard and the white sugar is still white . Maybe try that?

I have been playing around with this idea for a bit. The overall texture of my sugar scrubs is like stiff waxy clay. When I use a scrub, it doesn't "smoosh" apart or crumble very well, so it's hard to use. I feel like I'm trying to smoosh and rub awkward rubbery clumps of stuff onto my skin rather than scrub my face with a nice paste.

Perhaps my scrubs need to cure a bit before use? Or am I just using them wrong? Or do I have unrealistic expectations? I really like this idea, but need some advice.

I'm throwing myself at your mercy by admitting this in public. I'm a nerdy girl and didn't learn about these finer things of life when I was younger. :)

DeeAnna <- feeling rather embarrassed and clueless..... :)

Mine does not set up into a hard form, it is smooshy. I use a liquid oil or coconut oil for the oil, and if using an older soap, I add about a teaspoon of water per ounce of grated soap to help it melt. My sis-in-law prefers the scoopable kind of scrub.(And I just re-use the container that she bought at the store.)

DeeAnna, I was a nerdy girl also. And my mother's hobbies were fishing and hunting, so, there were no "beauty secrets" taught in my house. I am learning this stuff as I go along also.

Back