CP soap loses scent in shower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow- what a mysterious conundrum if there ever was one! My experience is the same as all the others who have posted, i.e., my scents actually bloom in the shower, even when the scent strength in the dry bars have faded over time.

After racking my brain for a bit, my thoughts are running along the same lines as Dixiedragon's at the moment. I don't know if that's the actual culprit or not, but it seems like it could/might be a possibility.

Is there a special reason why you mix your additives specifically with melted cocoa butter before incorporating at light trace? I ask because a liquid-at room-temp oil would be a much better choice for the task. If perchance you are using melted cocoa butter in the hopes of it remaining as your super-fat, your hopes will sadly be dashed, unfortunately. In recent years the superfatting-at-trace theory has been debunked as a myth by Dr. Kevin Dunn in lab experiments.

IrishLass :)

It might just be your nose. :)
I can't stand BB energy, NG monkey farts, NG love spell and most recently Black rasp & vanilla. There's probably more but I can't remember them now.
To most, including my family, they smell really nice. But to me, they reek of some sort of chemical smell. All of them give me migraine and nausea.
Another cause could be that your bars aren't really cured. After 6-8 weeks they are still quite raw in the middle. Especially if cut too thick.
And also SF, I keep mine low, 0-1% where possible. I know I'll be in minority but it's personal preference. Soaps with high SF feel and smell to me, well, just like a block of fat. :)

It might just be your nose. :)
I can't stand BB energy, NG monkey farts, NG love spell and most recently Black rasp & vanilla. There's probably more but I can't remember them now.
To most, including my family, they smell really nice. But to me, they reek of some sort of chemical smell. All of them give me migraine and nausea.
Another cause could be that your bars aren't really cured. After 6-8 weeks they are still quite raw in the middle. Especially if cut too thick.
And also SF, I keep mine low, 0-1% where possible. I know I'll be in minority but it's personal preference. Soaps with high SF feel and smell to me, well, just like a block of fat. :)
I am with you when it comes to superfat. I usually will not go over 3 but am preferring 1% with my recipes. I have a mango lassi from Scent Works that to me absolutely stinks after 5 months. No, it is not rancid it is the fo. Remind me of the time some of us were trying recipes with butter. Phew....

Last edited:
I am with you when it comes to superfat. I usually will not go over 3 but am preferring 1% with my recipes. I have a mango lassi from Scent Works that to me absolutely stinks after 5 months. No, it is not rancid it is the fo. Remind me of the time some of us were trying recipes with butter. Phew....

I remember your love of low SF from other threads. :)
It just makes so much difference, doesn't it. With lather and also longevity of the bar in the shower.
Mango never worked for me either. I've tried few, but soap just ends up smelling like play dough or vomit. :sick:

Checked my oils and they all smell fine. I will try mixing my additives with a little olive oil instead of coco butter to see if that helps. Also this happens from the very first use. I can literally pick a bar of the curing rack and take it to the shower and it does it so I dont think the bathroom humidity is the cause. Thank y'all for trying to help. It means alot.

Where did you get your olive oil?

Regular 76 degree CO?

I will second dixiedragon's ideas above. Try a batch with no additives, and send to some testers here. Failing that, try giving some to your family without telling them what you want them to test. Just say, "Try this."

Latest posts

Back