CP Soap going to trace immediately

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbielynn

Reaction score
I made my 2nd batch of CP soap today and when I added my lye/water to my oils.... it went IMMEDIATELY to trace.... I was barely able to get my stick blender out..... My recipe was:

Olive Oil 36%
coconut oil - 31.5%
Caster Oil - 7.5%
Apricot Oil - 10 % (the lye calculator only had Apricot Kernal Oil - I assumed it was the same)
Lard - 15%
Lye - 4.6%
Water 12.2%

I wanted to use goat's milk and had a friend suggest using part gaot's milk for the water so I used 4% water and 8.2% goat milk at trace (which I never even got to put in).

I'm wondering if I should have used more water (water/lye ratio off ?)
or if I too much apricot oil .... I mixed this with other oils but now have read about adding it at trace.

Sorry this is so long but figured some of your "professionals" out there could help if I gave you all the info. My first batch (different recipe) is drying and I'm so thankful this didn't have then....

Thanks in advance!!
[/quote]

I think the big problem was you only added 4% water. You either need to add frozen goat's milk in the beginning or goat's milk powder at trace. There was way to litle water to process the soap without seizing.
Did you use any FO/EO? And what temps did you use?

Its hard to work out your liquid quanties with %, but you have to have at least enough water to disolve the lye.

Your water weight should have been higher than your lye weight

i.e 66 grams of lye = 70grams of water

I do gm this way and find it much easier than fussing around with frozen milk

Latest posts

Back