CP soap as shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeetime

Reaction score
I have tried now for weeks at a time on three different occasions to wash my hair with CP soap. I tried Gennys recipe, I've tried various of my own recipes, but I can't do it. Not because of poor results, it makes my hair clean and lovely- it makes my hair fall out!! Has anyone else had this happen? I was putting it down to some hormonal issues but every time I've gone back to commercial shampoo it stops immediately. I've never heard of this reaction. Have any of you?

I started making my own soap because of the results I had with shampoo bars I had purchased. My hair was/is healthier. My scalp no longer breaks out and I am not always scratching my head. I have not experienced more fall out since using the bars.

i have to say that my hair and scalp is better since i left commercial shampoos and conditioners. it did take a while to adjust, but i'm loving it now. i've yet to formulate a nice conditioner, but for now i'm quite happy with an acv rinse.

i'm currently using the liquid form that i've made with some jojoba oil. i've also added a mild surfactant (coco betaine).

i'm sorry this happened to you, coffeetime..

For what it's worth, my hair can't tolerate CP soap either. But it didn't break off or fall out. It got gummy and matted.

My hair is way healthier & stronger than it was when I used any other method. Shampoo always made my hair super frizzy & dry, and the baking soda no-poo method made my scalp very itchy and red... that really sucks :sad: If you're looking for a homemade alternative to shampoo, I've heard of soap nut infusions being used. The shelf life would be quite long if you made a strong infusion of soap nuts in vinegar. Would be watery, though... if only you could reproduce those same results & sell the soap as a natural depilatory bar, you could make millions :grin:

Last edited:
Do you rub/scrub your scalp hard when shampoo-ing using the soap? I found that if you apply the soap gently to your hair, it lessen the hair fall during shower. I also used citric acid rinse to removed the soap scum and as conditioner. Around 1/2 tablespoon per 250 ml water. It's so much better than acv rinse, I can't stand the acv smell, it still there even after my hair is dry.

Sadly, I had a little allergy problem on my scalp, still have not found the perfect soap/shampoo to clear the problem. I prefer cp soap to commercial shampoo though.

Nope no scrubbing, my soap lathers ridiculously well, so no need. I didn't do an ACV rinse, but I thought that was just for buildup. I have no idea. But I'm a problem-solver by nature, so I'll keep thinking on it.

Does the hair on your legs come off? Maybe u hav a new formulation that would cut shaving out all together. Try on ur legs and leave for about 5 minutes. Report back. We may all want ur recipe.

I have noticed more hair in the shower drain with the CP than with commercial, but less in my brush. My hair is healthier and actually looks a little thicker, not the hair shafts, but the quantity sprouting from my scalp, than before. I have always had a lot of hair, but for awhile I didn't have as much as before. Now it looks like it's getting back to what it should be. I don't use ACV, occasionally I do use a conditioner from Soap Queen.

Latest posts

Back