Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have this kind of web site for THEIR STATE specifically like this one here in MASS ?
Would love to look at them and see how they all compare.
http://boston.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a2f67ae8147948919ea2f99dd09d0955
Moving on from the above...................here is the NY information.

https://covid19tracker.health.ny.go...r-DailyTracker?:embed=yes&:toolbar=no&:tabs=n
and on a lighter note staying inside has reduced hubby to watching You Tube fishing videos in foreign languages without English subtitles.

I am not en Epidemiologist, or a Scientist, or even a Dr or RN. I am a CT Tech. I work in the ER/Trauma. I have been doing my job for 25 years. I can only tell you what I personally see trending with COVID.

The ”Curve” was flattening. Things seemed to be getting better. They removed the tents where potential covids were screened or kept at the hospital until they either got a room or discharged. People were starting to relax. Everything started opening back up.

I can tell you that, by personal observation, IT IS SO MUCH WORSE NOW. We dont have enough beds for them all. I scanned an adult located in the pediatric icu, because our icus are full because one of the icus is now dedicated to covid pts.

This cannot be stressed enough. In the past few weeks, we have gotten...just on my 8 hour shifts, 4-8 covids per shift. Sometimes more if the whole stinkin family shows up at once. Last week I was walking to the employee entrance and 3 men were like hot on my tail, practically breathing down my neck with no masks on. I got in the door and turned around “hi, we tested positive”. I backed up and let the doors close lol. I didnt know what else to do lol. I gestured to them where the ER was and called the charge nurse to give her a heads up that 3 covids were checking in.

My sisters boyfriend owns a shop. Every single one of the guys just tested positive, except for him because he is usually in the office.

The rapid covid test is crap. It has a 30% accuracy rate. Patients come in, test negative...so you feel safe to get them for their test, right? Wrong. Days down the road you are getting a phone call from infection control that you were exposed to that same guy who tested negative with the rapid. And you don't even have time to wait for rapid results with traumas or stroke alerts, so you “assume” everybody is positive.I have made it my practice to write down on my paperwork whether or not i had on an n95 for every pt so i know what to tell infection control when they call.

There was a girl Thursday....generally healthy in her 20s. Cant breathe. Oxygen sats in the 80s. Rapid test is negative. Im like oh hell no. Suited up to scan her. “Bilateral ground glass opacities”, which is the typical covid sign on ct.

Everytime i get a neck or abdominal ct, i get a peek at their lungs. I show the doc, which prompts a covid test. Some of these people dont even have symptoms, but their lungs look like crap.

I feel like everybody has it now. I call the hospital a covid cesspool. And now we are running out of ppe again. I have gone back and forth on my opinions in the past on social distancing and opening things back up. Since we have opened up...its exponentially worse just in a few weeks.

Stay home.

Thanks for the info. I have been following the news, and I saw that Florida is in trouble. I hope people begin to realize that social distancing and masks are really your only defense if you are out and about. I live in TN, and people here are not properly social distancing and wearing masks, and our case numbers and hospitalizations are going up as well, although not as badly as where you are. Stay safe as you can. I am a retired nurse, and I cannot imagine how stressful and sad it must be to work in a hospital these days. I think about you guys every day and am so grateful that we have such a dedicated healthcare workforce.

I am not en Epidemiologist, or a Scientist, or even a Dr or RN. I am a CT Tech. I work in the ER/Trauma. I have been doing my job for 25 years. I can only tell you what I personally see trending with COVID.

The ”Curve” was flattening. Things seemed to be getting better. They removed the tents where potential covids were screened or kept at the hospital until they either got a room or discharged. People were starting to relax. Everything started opening back up.

I can tell you that, by personal observation, IT IS SO MUCH WORSE NOW. We dont have enough beds for them all. I scanned an adult located in the pediatric icu, because our icus are full because one of the icus is now dedicated to covid pts.

This cannot be stressed enough. In the past few weeks, we have gotten...just on my 8 hour shifts, 4-8 covids per shift. Sometimes more if the whole stinkin family shows up at once. Last week I was walking to the employee entrance and 3 men were like hot on my tail, practically breathing down my neck with no masks on. I got in the door and turned around “hi, we tested positive”. I backed up and let the doors close lol. I didnt know what else to do lol. I gestured to them where the ER was and called the charge nurse to give her a heads up that 3 covids were checking in.

My sisters boyfriend owns a shop. Every single one of the guys just tested positive, except for him because he is usually in the office.

The rapid covid test is crap. It has a 30% accuracy rate. Patients come in, test negative...so you feel safe to get them for their test, right? Wrong. Days down the road you are getting a phone call from infection control that you were exposed to that same guy who tested negative with the rapid. And you don't even have time to wait for rapid results with traumas or stroke alerts, so you “assume” everybody is positive.I have made it my practice to write down on my paperwork whether or not i had on an n95 for every pt so i know what to tell infection control when they call.

There was a girl Thursday....generally healthy in her 20s. Cant breathe. Oxygen sats in the 80s. Rapid test is negative. Im like oh hell no. Suited up to scan her. “Bilateral ground glass opacities”, which is the typical covid sign on ct.

Everytime i get a neck or abdominal ct, i get a peek at their lungs. I show the doc, which prompts a covid test. Some of these people dont even have symptoms, but their lungs look like crap.

I feel like everybody has it now. I call the hospital a covid cesspool. And now we are running out of ppe again. I have gone back and forth on my opinions in the past on social distancing and opening things back up. Since we have opened up...its exponentially worse just in a few weeks.

Stay home.
Thank you for this. In the uk, we see so much huff and puff about the US and it's hard to see where the truth truly lies, which is kinda why I started this thread.

I wondered how bad it was for some of us what the reality was opposed to news or SM. I am so sorry it's got so bad so fast, I hope you are as safe as you can be in the circumstances.

I just wish people trusted the science and understood that this is still out there, people are still dying.

I watch this site -- Rt Covid-19 -- that shows how the covid virus is spreading in the US.

The goal for Rt, the effective reproduction number, is to be under 1, which basically means each contagious person is infecting less than one other person and the rate of infections is slowing.

Two months ago, 45 states had an Rt below 1, a good sign. At that time, @Catscankim 's home state of Florida was at Rt=0.87.

The latest Rt numbers show only half of the states now have an Rt below 1. Florida is currently at 1.39 and is showing a sharp increase in new cases, so the Rt is likely to rise even higher. :( Hawaii is another state with a similar trend.

Stay home.

Thank you for posting this. Our state has been very conservative about reopening and we are under an order to wear masks in public places.

But it looks like gyms will reopen in early July and I really want to go back because I kinda miss their professional grade machines versus the $123 one I bought on Amazon (which does a great job for for what it is).

I was thinking that maybe I should just risk it and go, but I think your post will have me thinking twice and three times.

WOW. Super informative. Is that site accurate? I have learned to fact check almost everything. Sad state of affairs we live in. Thats why i stress that my post is personal observation. I dont have data, just know what i see. I havent looked at your site but i will. Im intrigued.

Thank you for posting this. Our state has been very conservative about reopening and we are under an order to wear masks in public places.

But it looks like gyms will reopen in early July and I really want to go back because I kinda miss their professional grade machines versus the $123 one I bought on Amazon (which does a great job for for what it is).

I was thinking that maybe I should just risk it and go, but I think your post will have me thinking twice and three times.

When our state first opened i was super excited. I play pool on a pool leage, and my friends are the owners of my pool room (and financially suffering). I went to a memorial day party (outside bbq) and went to the poolroom once.

I know the virus takes like 2 weeks to incubate. But i got super nervous, retrospectively. So i stayed in from then on, except work and food shopping.

Glad i did. Cause from what i see now....its insane. Again, my opinion. Just an observation from the front line.

Thanks for the info. I have been following the news, and I saw that Florida is in trouble. I hope people begin to realize that social distancing and masks are really your only defense if you are out and about. I live in TN, and people here are not properly social distancing and wearing masks, and our case numbers and hospitalizations are going up as well, although not as badly as where you are. Stay safe as you can. I am a retired nurse, and I cannot imagine how stressful and sad it must be to work in a hospital these days. I think about you guys every day and am so grateful that we have such a dedicated healthcare workforce.
My girlfriend in Tennessee is planning a 70th birthday trip for her husband to MO. I don't even fathom traveling now. Here in NY we are still socially distancing and wearing masks in public spaces at all times. I wish masks hadn't become such a political pressure button and people would just do what they have to to ensure there own, and families safety.

My girlfriend in Tennessee is planning a 70th birthday trip for her husband to MO. I don't even fathom traveling now. Here in NY we are still socially distancing and wearing masks in public spaces at all times. I wish masks hadn't become such a political pressure button and people would just do what they have to to ensure there own, and families safety.

I'm happy that my state just made it mandatory. It seems counterintuitive, but I think it reduces conflict, because business owners can just say "my hands are tied and legally you cannot be in here without a mask"

I love my sister, but she says she is "over it" with respect to wearing a mask. She goes into stores without one and figures it's okay because she isn't in there a long time and doesn't feel sick.

She comes from a state without many cases, but she won't wear a mask unless forced.

WOW. Super informative. Is that site accurate?...

It jives well with other information I believe to be from respected, factual sources. The Rt numbers shown on this website (Rt Covid-19) doesn't answer all the questions a person might want to know,. so I don't consider it to be the be-all-end-all resource for covid information. That said, it's a good way to get a quick update and monitor trends. Other information sources I follow include these --

https://projects.propublica.org/reopening-america/#956082
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/
Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count (login required)

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
-- as well as information sources for my home state of Iowa, which most of y'all won't be interested in.

Here is a snapshot of the current hotspots in the US according to the New York Times article "Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count". I think the info on this map compares pretty well with the current Rt data I've been talking about in this and my previous post.

Screenshot_2020-06-21 Coronavirus in the U S Latest Map and Case Count.png

Last edited:
I can't even with Florida right now, more than usual.
I went out to pick up lye from Lowes (contactless pick up) and maybe1/3 of the people I saw going in and out of the store had masks and of those, like half even had them on correctly. :mad:

Stay home.
Thank you so much

We had 18 days straight in New Zealand with NO cases of C-19, until two dimwits arrived from the UK to go to a funeral. All incoming people are quarantined for 14 days in a hotel near the airport, where they are tested once at the 3 day mark, and again at the 12 day mark. Some idiot-in-charge at the facility saw fit to allow these two compassionate consideration without being tested to attend the funeral, and they drive over 8 hours down the country to get to it ( think stopping for toilet trips, cafes' etc) where it was afterwards discovered that they are C-19 positive!!! Talk about a public outcry after all our hard work as a country locking down at home for a month, and even then most for us for a further two weeks after that.

I'm happy that my state just made it mandatory. It seems counterintuitive, but I think it reduces conflict, because business owners can just say "my hands are tied and legally you cannot be in here without a mask"

I love my sister, but she says she is "over it" with respect to wearing a mask. She goes into stores without one and figures it's okay because she isn't in there a long time and doesn't feel sick.

She comes from a state without many cases, but she won't wear a mask unless forced.

I say let her be for now. Those masks are stifiling and I worry more about what is staying in my nose than what some passerby has. I'm quite sick of the paranoia the media did a fine job of drumming up. If it wasn't for the fact that on public grounds I have to have one, I would not be wearing a mask either. Even when I wear a mask, if the block is empty, that mask is on my chin. If I see people, I'll pull it up until they pass. But I'm tired of making myself sick trying to keep from getting sick.

But the problem is that if any covid has attached itself to the mask and you keep pulling it up and down then the main purpose has been defeated because now you keep touching a contaminated mask.

Unless wearers are using the mask properly then it really is a false sense if security. If you are going to wear a mask sanitize your hands, apply the mask, leave it on until you are totally down wearing it, sanitize your hands, remove it by ear loops then discard or if cloth then wash it.

How many people actually follow thIs procedure?

I hate how politicised wearing a mask has become.

Quite simply I cant wear one. If I was forced to put one on, I would either vomit within about 2 minutes or have an asthma attack but all people see is me without a mask and assume I am making some of selfish point.

In the uk it's been bad but the numbers are so unreliable it's hard to really know. I think no one will really know how bad it's been anywhere until we can analyse and compare in the same basis- some countries include deaths at home, some don't. Some include confirmed Covid cases only and others include suspected cases as well.

UK govt has, like many others, been pretty inept tbh with conflicting information and bureaucracy hampering the response but the public has, in general, been pretty good. I have thoroughly enjoyed our lockdown and have no wish to go out but I do know the economy needs a kick start.

My worry is that people think it's all over and its not, the danger is still there especially for vulnerable people like my parents and that terrifies me.

If you want to know what’s happening in the rest of the world regarding covid 19 this is a good site. If you click on the USA It takes you to a page that gives you stats per sta

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Not all countries report deaths at home from covid 19 and some deaths aren’t tested for covid 19 so the stats are far worse than these figures suggest which is really, really scary.

Last edited:
I live in DFW (Texas, USA for non USA residents), and our numbers have doubled from pre-Memorial Day, pre-protest numbers. MUCH worse than the first couple of months. I understand that our economy can't afford to stay shut down forever, but something has to give.

I sympathize with you people that can't wear a mask. I hate and despise masks. Not being able to wear one on a prolonged basis is what kept me from being a surgery nurse. But you endanger everyone around you when you fail to wear one, or fail to wear it properly. Co-vid 19 starts out quite symptomless. You can even be contagious and NEVER KNOW YOU HAD IT. But the whole time, you are spreading those germs. So, no, sympathy for you does not make me any less angry at you when I see you in the stores sneezing and coughing with no mask on. You say it's just allergies (and for sneezing, it is), but what else do you have going on that you don't know about? Thank you for staying home if you refuse to wear a mask. Just saying.

When governments mandate mask wearing, it takes the onus of requiring a mask off of the individual business owner. Thereby leveling the playing field for small businesses and major corporations. It also LOWERS THE NUMBERS OF CASES in that area. Period.

Vietnam has 349 cases And no deaths in a population of 100 million. Those numbers have been verified by foreign officials on the ground.
They listened to the stories coming out of China and shut their borders In early January and quarantined anyone coming into the country or having any contact with anyone who caught the virus. They have posters everywhere and loud speakers in the streets warning about the virus. They have suffered from many epidemics and understand about wearing masks (everyone wears one) and social distancing. If you’ve ever been to Vietnam you’ll understand what a phenomenal job the government there has done to protect its people.

Back