Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s here. 14 cases at the Veteran’s Home 12 miles from me. 1 case at one of our local medical clinics. And potentially one case at our office. One of my co-workers...that I share an office with...decided that it would be a good idea to come into work sick. “It’s just a cold!”

I was anticipating being out of work after the 15th of April (I’m an accountant with a CPA firm), but between “Karen” and the government pushing the tax deadline back 90 days...I start working from home next week.

I’m good with that. Give me time to make soap. More time to knit. Going to do some Spring cleaning.

As a personal aside, I hate when people do this. I get that people need their sick days for the kids and what not, but my supervisor routinely shows up sick and wants to go around and chat and I can just feel myself shrinking up in my seat and pushing into the corner to get away from her.

I always just want to scream "YOURE NOT A HERO FOR COMING HERE SICK, GO HOME!"

our job can be done from home, we all work from home five days a week now. She could work sick from home, I think she just feels like she is setting a positive example.

As a personal aside, I hate when people do this. I get that people need their sick days for the kids and what not, but my supervisor routinely shows up sick and wants to go around and chat and I can just feel myself shrinking up in my seat and pushing into the corner to get away from her.

I always just want to scream "YOURE NOT A HERO FOR COMING HERE SICK, GO HOME!" our job can be done from home, we all work from home five days a week now. She could work sick from home, I think she just feels like she is setting a positive example.

It just pisses me off that we all sat in the same meeting...stay home if are sick, don’t put your co-workers at risk. She defended her actions because I had had a cold and came into work. True, but it was very mild, my allergies were causing me more problems. The simple fact is, she’s one of those people can can’t see beyond the end of her nose. In a way, I’m glad for the virus since it means I won’t have to deal with her for the next several weeks, but the suck thing is that we were going to let her go after tax season and we can’t. Boss is a good boss and she’s into the company for $750 right now...she’ll need to work for us until she can pay it back.

[ I have as much chance of getting a fatal case of Covid 19 as I do the flu. Proper hygene and taking care of where I go when I go.
The MEDIA has caused a huge panic .]

The DEAD are causing the panic!!! And the ill!!! and the hospitals collapsing!! This is totally different because it is NEW. Don´t get it wrong. You Will see in a week oer

Hon...going around screaming “the sky is falling, the sky is falling” doesn’t help either. The dead can’t cause panic...they are dead...it’s the living that are the problem. Starting with China, this is the second time this has happened, but at least that time there was a vaccine and certain amount of immunity. This time, it’s something completely new and to place a city of 11 million into lockdown with only 81K cases and 8k death in the entire country...the numbers don’t add up. Especially when you look at Italy.

We’re only just getting started in the US and it’s going to get bad simply because Americana don’t like being told what do do, not even by our own government. Case in point...our Governor told people that if they didn’t start practicing social distancing as requested, then she would order it. On Saturday, our beach towns were packed bumper to bumper with people! W.T.F!?! And she did.

Some folks were complaining about. I told them that it was their own **** fault for acting like a spoiled 2 year-old. If you can’t behave in public, you can stay in your room.

Last edited by a moderator:
snow came last night :( Welcome to New England where it is sunny and getting warm then WHAM, Not so fast Lucy !
:( I was hoping to play a little more in the garden this week

I haven't been around much because I'm having a horrible time with migraines and I'm trying medications but they just aren't working so I've been pretty much living in a state of if it isn't 100% necessary it isn't getting done. I seem to be getting a reprieve. I really miss you guys; and I know, I'm going to get on the ground news here, so I'm checking in from Oregon, USA. We are the little state between California and Washington. We have a shelter-in-place state mandated regulation that has a misdemeanor and fine if you are caught disregarding it. Restaurants offering takeout allowed to stay open. Businesses that allow curbside pickup or delivery allowed open. Work from home if possible not only encouraged but mandated by the state. No school until 4/28 (at least). My kids are technically on their spring break and I've told them to just binge on video games and youtube while hubby and I get organized. Trying to prioritize eating and mental health. My kids could be done with school and roll right into next year without problems unlike many of their classmates so I'm not worried about school and I detest busy work so we shall see what we come up with. Something because they can't be onscreen for a month but... I take care of my 78 yo mom. She lives with us. We have a big house on a big lot. So thankful for that. But we started taking precautions, wiping doorknobs etc. 8 weeks ago. We put up a pretty solid barrier around Mom 4 weeks ago. My husband is a pastor and our church is heavy on the senior age bracket and they stopped shaking hands and allowing hugs 6 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago they went to virtual services. I'm proud to say our congregation has been 1 week ahead of state mandated rules, no science deniers here. I've missed you guys and I hope you are all well. I'm not afraid of this virus. I'm just afraid we aren't listening to the experts and have missed the point of flattening the curve so that we don't overwhelm our systems. Sorry to go on and on.

We haven’t closed our campus yet, but I’m wondering how much longer it will be. We are heavily funded by federal grants and if the research isn’t done, we can’t bill. If we can’t bill, we can only pay the people supported by those grants for so long. A federal lab down the road is beginning the shutdown process this week. Their focus is not biomedical and ours isn’t either. I really do hope the biomedical labs around the world can keep going during this pandemic. We need those scientists at their benches and computers figuring out how the he!! to slow this pandemic down.
UVA is planning to close all its bio labs as well sometime in the near future. They haven't told us yet when exactly, but they asked everyone to be prepared.
(I'm on the humanities side so it doesn't affect me directly... but it is still very discouraging. We haven't been allowed in the office for more than a week now either, but at least in theory all we need is a pen and a piece of paper.)
Hope you all are staying safe!

well on coming Monday I leave for Europe for few weeks , can not cancel it, With my COPD any cold or flue may end as pneumonia, I keep my fingers crossed that no one will be sneezing in plane. What we do , when the sickness come. Whatever it is is (viruses) it stats in the nose, then rinsing sinuses is pretty useful tool, hand washing, and hand washing I hope I will have a nice time in Poland (I had not visit for 15 years) and come back healthy
Hello Dahlia, I wondered if you were able to make your trip? I was in Thailand for three weeks and my flights were not affected but European countries were. Also travelers who had planned to stay longer in Thailand were cutting their trips short and trying to get home sooner. I got home the day before the Stay-At-Home order was made.

Hello Dahlia, I wondered if you were able to make your trip? I was in Thailand for three weeks and my flights were not affected but European countries were. Also travelers who had planned to stay longer in Thailand were cutting their trips short and trying to get home sooner. I got home the day before the Stay-At-Home order was made.
yes but I cut it short to two weeks, now I am on self isolation and going insane, on day 6th. I am happy i got home , In poland they closed everything, To be locked even with lovely family is not my idea of vacation. So far I am good .

Our campus closes from tomorrow- all face to face classes are suspended this week to allow us time to put everything on line, create alternative assessments etc. Then they will resume next week as online only.
The funny thing is, this is my entire job. I feel like I've been inadvertently preparing for a pandemic my entire life...

@Carolyne Thrasher My daughter is doing online digital class right now. I also am plagued with headaches but I limit most of my triggers except tea (caffeine is the real culprit). Have you tried excluding common triggers from your diet? In any case, I hope you feel better.
I've had migraines for 30 years and I know exactly what my trigger is. I remember the exact first migraine I had. It was at 4 am the morning after I took the first placebo pill in the old school packet of birth control pills (you know the kind that had the higher amounts of hormones). I woke up with throbbing pain in one side of my head and was violently ill. That happened every month on schedule until I stopped taking the pill. Doctors refused to believe me. Unfortunately after that the die was set and my body for whatever reason decided that every month at ovulation it was going to do this to me but it wasn't always at 4 am. And now thanks to menopause ovulation is all over the place so my trigger is myself. Not red wine, not cheese, not gluten. Although none of those help. But thanks triggers are always the first place to start. After 30 years of beating myself up for eating this or that though I give up and eat whatever I want because it's going to happen or it's not. And if you're a migraine sufferer. It's not your fault.

We're going on stay-at-home at midnight tonight in my county(same as shelter in place, but less scary terminology for the easily frightened). Shame my hubby and I both work with doctors and can't stay home.

The good news is that they released my daughter from student teaching, so she is on the way here. We will worry about moving her here when this is over. My son is hanging out at his house being careful as he is also immunocompromised. So, my family is in as safe a situation as possible under the circumstances.

What about yours?

I've had migraines for 30 years and I know exactly what my trigger is. I remember the exact first migraine I had. It was at 4 am the morning after I took the first placebo pill in the old school packet of birth control pills (you know the kind that had the higher amounts of hormones). I woke up with throbbing pain in one side of my head and was violently ill. That happened every month on schedule until I stopped taking the pill. Doctors refused to believe me. Unfortunately after that the die was set and my body for whatever reason decided that every month at ovulation it was going to do this to me but it wasn't always at 4 am. And now thanks to menopause ovulation is all over the place so my trigger is myself. Not red wine, not cheese, not gluten. Although none of those help. But thanks triggers are always the first place to start. After 30 years of beating myself up for eating this or that though I give up and eat whatever I want because it's going to happen or it's not. And if you're a migraine sufferer. It's not your fault.

The good news is that menopause is the beginning of the end of migraines. It may happen slowly, but it will happen. I get a much, much milder migraine now if all the bad triggers (storms, stress, chocolate, cheese, pickles, MSG) align. And I have had exactly two in the last two years.

Oy, that's a pain. I've been getting migraines since 13 and only within the past 3 years have they changed in behavior. For me, certain foods trigger them as can certain scents so that was part of why I asked if you tried the diet thing. I do know everyone's different though.

I'm not near menopause age yet but I'm not looking forward to those years either.

Numbers are looking scary here in the uk and we're now on lockdown. Only allowed out for essentials for at least three weeks - have to go get groceries tomorrow and tbh I don't want to go. Feel quite safe tucked upon my house keeping myself busy.

I so hope the US doesn't go the way its being predicted, tbh I hope nowhere ends up like Itaky or Spain, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Trying to keep busy,turning out cupboards, repainting walls and planning a new website - anything other than endless news!!

yes but I cut it short to two weeks, now I am on self isolation and going insane, on day 6th. I am happy i got home , In poland they closed everything, To be locked even with lovely family is not my idea of vacation. So far I am good .
At least you got to go on your trip. Sounds like we are on the same schedule. I got back late last Wednesday night, now on day six of self-isolating/stay-at-home mandate. All good here too.

At least you got to go on your trip. Sounds like we are on the same schedule. I got back late last Wednesday night, now on day six of self-isolating/stay-at-home mandate. All good here too.
same Wensday, actually Thursday at 2 pm.

The introvert in me is liking the socia
snow came last night :( Welcome to New England where it is sunny and getting warm then WHAM, Not so fast Lucy !
:( I was hoping to play a little more in the garden this week
We got about 6 inches here. My backyard is still covered but it melted off the driveway and patio. I was looking at my plants popping up and boom just a reminder it is still March.

Numbers are looking scary here in the uk and we're now on lockdown. Only allowed out for essentials for at least three weeks - have to go get groceries tomorrow and tbh I don't want to go. Feel quite safe tucked upon my house keeping myself busy.

I so hope the US doesn't go the way its being predicted, tbh I hope nowhere ends up like Itaky or Spain, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Trying to keep busy,turning out cupboards, repainting walls and planning a new website - anything other than endless news!!
I am in upstate NY and my kids are in NYC. I am freaked about the way it is going here. I treat every person and object outside my home like it has plague and we are 14th century England. I sprayed a package with alcohol and left it outside for another 20 minutes, then sprayed the contents. My anxiety level is about 12 on a 10 scale. I have been having nightmares and I even dreamed my deceased mother and aunt picked me up.

UVA is planning to close all its bio labs as well sometime in the near future. They haven't told us yet when exactly, but they asked everyone to be prepared.
(I'm on the humanities side so it doesn't affect me directly... but it is still very discouraging. We haven't been allowed in the office for more than a week now either, but at least in theory all we need is a pen and a piece of paper.)
Hope you all are staying safe!

I’m getting a sense that the governor is talking to the universities in Virginia and I’m sure the uni presidents are talking to each other. Things are mostly happening in lock step, or close.

Does being socially isolated inspire you to put pen to paper? I am old enough to have written my Master’s thesis on paper first!

I’m staying home and so is my partner, so my exposure risk is about as low as it can be. You stay safe, too!

The funny thing is, this is my entire job. I feel like I've been inadvertently preparing for a pandemic my entire life...

Our IT folks have been performing miracles for a couple of weeks now as the faculty moved all of the courses online. It sounds like you’re on the higher ed front line, too. Bless you!

I am in upstate NY and my kids are in NYC. I am freaked about the way it is going here. I treat every person and object outside my home like it has plague and we are 14th century England. I sprayed a package with alcohol and left it outside for another 20 minutes, then sprayed the contents. My anxiety level is about 12 on a 10 scale. I have been having nightmares and I even dreamed my deceased mother and aunt picked me up.

I’m so sorry that you’re feeling this way. The NYC situation is not good, but hopefully your kids are being careful and following all the precautions. NY has also done a lot of testing, which is good, but also scary.

Our IT folks have been performing miracles for a couple of weeks now as the faculty moved all of the courses online. It sounds like you’re on the higher ed front line, too. Bless you!

Yes, I'm instructional technology rather than information technology (i.e., education support, not tech support), but am very very busy. The funny thing is, in some ways, my colleagues and I are the worst people to help because we have a particular standard we work to in our online courses and there's no way we can come even close in these times. We usually take the better part of a year, working with faculty, to build a course, and each of us works on 6-12 courses per year. So now, to turn 500 courses over for May 11 seems crazy.
But it's a fun challenge to meet people where they are and help them. Poor profs have so much on their plate right now :-(

Yes, I'm instructional technology rather than information technology (i.e., education support, not tech support), but am very very busy. The funny thing is, in some ways, my colleagues and I are the worst people to help because we have a particular standard we work to in our online courses and there's no way we can come even close in these times. We usually take the better part of a year, working with faculty, to build a course, and each of us works on 6-12 courses per year. So now, to turn 500 courses over for May 11 seems crazy.
But it's a fun challenge to meet people where they are and help them. Poor profs have so much on their plate right now :-(
My characterization of our situation wasn’t as crisp as it should have been :). We went online and remote. That was something like 3500 courses altogether. I can only imagine how much time and effort it takes to build a quality online course. My last class was yesterday, and all I had to do for it was figure out how to use Zoom breakout rooms.

Back