Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, @TashaBird -- thanks for suggesting this idea. A case of 48 sheets, 48" x 48" per sheet, is about $88 plus shipping. That would make a TON of inserts for masks. Or I suppose you could make masks directly from this material.

I wonder if people are doing a "group buy" kind of thing where a case of these sheets is divided amongst a group of people. That would make it more affordable and reasonable. I suspect many people don't need a whole case of this stuff. ;)

Last edited:
I went to the doctor yesterday for bronchitis, turns out I have pneumonia. The chest x-ray does not look consistent with co-vid 19 yet, although I have heard of people that were diagnosed with pneumonia and actually had co-vid 19. And I am not running any fever. I have fibromyalgia that makes me feel like I have the flu all of the time (worse with our recent stormy weather), so diagnosing muscle aches is difficult. Antibiotics are being called in today.

If anyone prays, I am asking for prayers that this is just pneumonia, and not co-vid 19. I am immunocompromised, so at high risk to be the sickest.
Just seeing this now. Praying for you, Susie!!

The 3 months of self imposed isolation is really starting to wear my mother down. BCV (before covid-19) she had a strong social network, was volunteering and going to church every Sunday. Now she stays at home and has no one to interact with, except for my aunt (her sister) and uncle, who live next door. My mom spends most of her time on Facebook and I've been trying to come up with alternative ways for her to spend her time.

We video chat at least once a week and yesterday she broke down and started to cry because Facebook is her only social outlet. After a few questions I found out what kind of books she likes to read and have ordered a book for her and will keep ordering books for her monthly for the foreseeable future. The libraries are still closed in the town she lives in.

Any suggestions on ways to make isolation more bearable? I've suggested numerous hobbies but she's not interested in them.

I have just danced to "Long Live" by For King and Country. It's a beautiful song to waken ones dreams.

Maybe every day you can send her a song with lyrics and she can dance and sing along for exercise.
It doesn't matter how old she is. Music is a cure for isolation:)

I don't know what it is like in the rest of the world but where I am in the UK there seems a general attitude now that Covid has gone away. Health professionals I have spoken to have said a second wave is inevitable. We have beaches and local beauty spots crawling with people not distancing as we have had a recent heatwave.

I had Covid in March and I am early 40s fit and healthy with an active job but it floored me. It took me 2 months for my lungs to fully recover. It can hit anyone hard. I wish people would take it more seriously.

I don't know what it is like in the rest of the world but where I am in the UK there seems a general attitude now that Covid has gone away. Health professionals I have spoken to have said a second wave is inevitable. We have beaches and local beauty spots crawling with people not distancing as we have had a recent heatwave.

I had Covid in March and I am early 40s fit and healthy with an active job but it floored me. It took me 2 months for my lungs to fully recover. It can hit anyone hard. I wish people would take it more seriously.
I fear that for our area. Kelowna is a resort area; we have a large lake, mountains near by and a lot of summer homes owned by out of province owners. They're coming in droves from a province that has more cases than we have. I think it's just a matter of time.

The 3 months of self imposed isolation is really starting to wear my mother down. BCV (before covid-19) she had a strong social network, was volunteering and going to church every Sunday. Now she stays at home and has no one to interact with, except for my aunt (her sister) and uncle, who live next door. My mom spends most of her time on Facebook and I've been trying to come up with alternative ways for her to spend her time.

We video chat at least once a week and yesterday she broke down and started to cry because Facebook is her only social outlet. After a few questions I found out what kind of books she likes to read and have ordered a book for her and will keep ordering books for her monthly for the foreseeable future. The libraries are still closed in the town she lives in.

Any suggestions on ways to make isolation more bearable? I've suggested numerous hobbies but she's not interested in them.
Have her call the local food bank and see if they have needed items. She can organize a fund raiser or shelf stocking ( nonperishable food items and toiletries online via facebook and front yard sign. Once the items are collected either you or someone from the foodbank can pick them up and deliver them for her.
If she can drive have her get out of the house and site see. You can talk to her about what she has seen.
Find out if her church has a FB page. If so she can interact with her church family on that page. If a church member is in need she can make a hot dish and set it on their steps or even bring anything else to drop off for the one in need. All without face to face contact.
If she sews, face masks are needed at most charities. Maybe even needed at her church.

My church has live services on Facebook. My Sunday School teacher even does lessons there, in addition to Zoom meeting discussion of the lessons.

Maybe she and her friends can get together on Face Time or some such? I know that one nursing home here has board games set up with a web cam so that residents can play games with their family members. Each end has another web cam on the people playing.

Even if she doesn't currently have hobbies outside of meeting with friends, now is a great time to start a hobby. It is a sanity saver.

@Susie @Nostalgicgranny Thanks for the suggestions! She and my aunt and uncle watch church services every week via zoom or whichever platform they use. I suggested the app 1 Second a Day for her to record a one second videos each day and it makes a video at the end of the month. I'll suggest the other ideas and see if anything motivates her.

I fear that for our area. Kelowna is a resort area; we have a large lake, mountains near by and a lot of summer homes owned by out of province owners. They're coming in droves from a province that has more cases than we have. I think it's just a matter of time.
It is absolutely true. So many people here are acting like there are no concerns. My son and I went to Costco a few days ago and we were 2 of the few people who were wearing masks within the store. There were elderly and what appeared to be a woman with cancer, not taking any precautions at all. Costco was offering free masks at the entrance for any who would be willing to wear one and still there were few takers. We are a very high destination location for tourists and I have been seeing the out of province plates on cars everywhere. If a location in BC gets hit with an influx of new cluster cases, it will likely be us. I don't understand why people won't take this more seriously and protect themselves and others by simply wearing a mask to reduce the risk of transmission. My son is in his mid 20's so likely not at much risk for serious illness, but if he has enough respect to wear a mask to reduce his risk of unintentionally passing it on if he were asymptomatic, should not those who could potentially really suffer not take equal or greater precautions?

Quite right dking. I have had the same frustrations here. We came out of quarantine the day lockdown started in the UK and even though we have had it we have followed the lockdown rules out of respect to others who are vulnerable as it's not worth taking any chances.

Our next door neighbours are elderly and throughout lockdown they have been entertaining friends in their garden!!

Lockdown rules have eased a bit in the UK recently but just yesterday I was out with my 15 year old daughter and an old lady tried to come up close to her and touch her arm. My daughter said 'please don't we have to distance' and the woman said 'don't worry about that dear'. I absolutely despair of the situation.

Last night at work i found out...

-our covid floor is full
-they stopped rapid testing patients as of 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon. I dont know why. Yes its highly inaccurate, but it at least gives you a heads up on some patients.
-we are holding some covid patients (generally healthy) outside of the er on a bench
-unconfirmed patients are being sent to the floors (private room)

I havent received a new n95 mask since march

They are requiring us to wear goggles (new rule as of 1:30pm yesterday). YES PLEASE! They are not giving us goggles. Some nurses are sharing. Wheres my fricken goggles?? I cant even get a new mask.

I feel like we live in a 3rd world country.
That's horrible! I am a nurse also. I work in an outpatient surgery center. We were closed for 1 month but reopened for urgent cases in May. We are all required to wear a N95 mask, with a level 2 mask on top and a face shield on top of that. For 8 hours! We get a new N95 mask every 5 wearings. We are also required to change into scrubs when we arrive and wear shoe covers and a hair net. I feel pretty safe actually - but wearing those masks all day is brutal. I only work part time - so I feel bad for the full time nurses.

The issue of mask-wearing is complex. I do my best to wear one when in crowds, but I do seriously consider the viewpoints of those who don't. That way, instead of being angry at those people, I can acknowledge that they have some valid perspectives, even if their decisions differ from mine.

Here are some of the perspectives I've heard from those who choose not to wear masks:

~ When COVID first appeared, we were told repeatedly that masks don't help. There are still no strong scientific studies confirming that masks do help. What does help? Social distancing, frequent hand-washing, and isolation of those who have been or may have been infected. The CDC website even says that "the cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing."

~ During the SARS outbreak years ago, we all saw pictures of mask-wearing people in affected countries. These articles contained prominent statements advising everyone that masks don't prevent the spread of disease at all; they just make people relax and feel better about going out.

~ Many people have issues with asthma or a mental health issue, and cannot wear masks, period. You cannot tell whether someone has a breathing problem or mental health issue by how fit or "normal" they appear to be. (Note: I personally have asthma and have to remove my mask immediately if I sense that my levels are dropping).

~ People who do wear face coverings are constantly touching them. By doing this, they are picking up all the germs they've breathed out into the mask. Then they are touching everything in the store or other public place, and then touching their faces again to adjust the mask. Thus, it is quite possible that more germs are being transmitted by mask wearing, than by going without masks.

~ Social isolation has a proven negative effect on one's immune system and overall health, and masks exacerbate the isolation.

Again, I am not saying that I agree with all of these points. However, if we seek to understand why someone may think or behave differently than we do, it helps us not be angry, upset, or anxious towards them - all of which emotions are also bad for our immune systems.

@AliOop I prefer being able to breath as God intended us to breath. I really don't think those masks are doing us any good if people are starting to get dizzy and pass out from lack of oxygen.

@AliOop I prefer being able to breath as God intended us to breath. I really don't think those masks are doing us any good if people are starting to get dizzy and pass out from lack of oxygen.
I totally respect that and believe it is a valid position. I agree that we can make ourselves sick from not having fresh oxygen.

Bottom line, there are competing and valid concerns on both sides of the mask-wearing issue.

My main point was that acknowledging validity of someone else's choices, even when they are different than ours, can relieve some of our anger and stress that is generated when we see them making choices that we would not make.

I totally respect that and believe it is a valid position. I agree that we can make ourselves sick from not having fresh oxygen.

Bottom line, there are competing and valid concerns on both sides of the mask-wearing issue.

My main point was that acknowledging validity of someone else's choices, even when they are different than ours, can relieve some of our anger and stress that is generated when we see them making choices that we would not make.
It would but then some people are some people.

The rest of world is watching the USA and the debates going on around masks, staying at home, and freedom of choice. It seems to us here in NZ, having put in the hard yards as a country to eradicate Covid-19, silly that people wouldn't do all that they can to minimise the spread of the disease.
If you have surgery (in a non- covid world) would you be happy if the surgeon didn't wear a mask? He/she does so to prevent YOU from getting any germs.
If you don't want to go out with a mask where it is mandated to do so - then by all means, don't wear a mask - BUT don't go out. Don't deliberately buck the system and try and force your 'rights' on others who are doing their best to stop the spread. It seems a selfish approach to think that you are somehow special enough to not wear a mask, or to be able to go out and walk around freely in the middle of a lockdown. When we had our lockdown those who had special requirements had a helpline to call for assistance, and we were urged to check on elderly neighbours or vulnerable people to collect groceries on their behalf, or to pick up prescriptions for them. Not to get within 2 metres of them - but to help out where we could.
I understand that it is difficult operating in a crisis under the country's current leadership - who, I'm sorry to say, that the rest of the world (yes I have a large number of friends in Australia, Europe and the United Kingdom too) thinks is an absolute idiot.
If each of us do our very best to stop this virus spreading then surely the crisis will be over sooner rather than later. The USA has the worst spread, the most deaths, the most people infected in the world. Doesn't that say anything?
Sorry - I'm not usually one to write controversial posts but I find it really frustrating standing by and watching this debate. I will duck for cover now and accept that I may well be verbally assaulted.

@KiwiMoose I would never verbally assault you. I agree that your points are valid.

I also think that some of the points of non-mask wearers (which I listed) are valid. In other words, there is no perfect solution to the problem, and getting upset at each other over differing opinions only raises our stress levels so we don't think clearly or act wisely and compassionately.

Masks or no masks aside, the US has a lot of reasons for why our rates are highest:
~much more open borders than other countries that were smart enough to lock down sooner
~lack of good tests available to catch infections sooner
~failure to actively trace and isolate those who have had contact with infected persons
~false inflation of numbers even when no tests confirmed that COVID was the cause of death. Why? because the hospitals are paid more for COVID deaths. I know this from my friend who works in finances at a local hospital.

Back