Coronavirus

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bout of flu about three weeks ago, and after pretending that it didn't exist, I finally admitted defeat and went to the hospital, The first thing they gave me was a facemask and asked me if I had been in China recently. Then the doctor put me on antibiotics for the cough (I have COPD), paracetamol and lots of rest. The doctor didn't seem concerned about the issue, and the people in the waiting room saw me with the mask on and didn't stampede to the other end of the room, making the gesture of the evil eye at me and spraying themselves with industrial alcohol. They seemed more concerned for my wellbeing than anything.

Spain is wonderful because the people here take everything with a humungous pinch of salt. Centuries of barefaced robbery by their governments have made the Spanish very keen eyed and cynical about everything that happens on the media, and what they want are facts, facts, facts. They take nothing at face value, so all this concern about coronavirus leaves them a bit cold, they just make jokes about it

As for the social/economic ramifcations, there's a Chinese dollar store next door to me and they're not losing any business, in fact I make a point of going there and buying more. No masks on the streets, no people in orange biochemical warfare suits. And Spain's been in a major economic crisis since 2008, so life goes on...

The truth of the matter is that it's just another flu, perhaps a bit more savage than other strains, but a flu nonetheless. The lives it's taking are those that any flu takes; the elderly, people who are compromised with heart and pulmonary issues, the underfed, the poor.

Hi, Noreen, I was bedside and ER RN for many years. The Worst thing I ever caught at work was not a virus. It was mycoplasma, or walking pneumonia. I got it from a pt who coughed in my face while I was starting her IV. Terrible cough, just exhausting, and the illness would clear up and then return a week later. I was sick for 3 months. I never caught flu at work, thank goodness. Thank you for your work, I think nurses are like bedside soldiers and I hope you have continuing good health♥️.

Even before the coronavirus thing, many people in Asia wear the masks. I don't think it is for disease, but more just because of the pollution that they believe that they are breathing in and that they think that the mask will filter it. I seriously doubt that it makes a difference since the masks are not tight fitting enough to cause all the air that they breath to come through the mask and not around the edges of the mask.

From a disease standpoint, most of the masks that you see are to protect *others* from what *you* might have. So that if *you* cough or sneeze, you don't spray germs all over everywhere. Surgeons wear these masks to protect the *patient*, not themselves.

@dibbles
Yes terminal 1 this Sat. Layover in Raleigh NC. Lots of airport! Have a purse pack of Clorox wipes. I presume there maybe hand sanitizer at the airport. And I have some as well. Keeping my fingers crossed the kids don't bring something from school to get us all sick!

Yup confirmed case in Ft Lauderdale. Great... FLA bound Saturday! Disney parks! Nice big germ pools.
Hopefully people will be too scared to get sick and the lines will short. :(

Yup confirmed case in Ft Lauderdale. Great... FLA bound Saturday! Disney parks! Nice big germ pools.
Hopefully people will be too scared to get sick and the lines will short. :(

I'd try not to worry about it. Just wash your hands every so often and before meals avoid the idiots that cough uncovered when possible. You're only going to be in the area a few days.

My university is telling administrators that we need to get ready now in anticipation of students returning from spring break in less than 2 weeks. The focus is on preparing for community level transmission of the virus. The number of areas we need to consider and actions we need to take to help keep students, staff and faculty working and as healthy as we possibly can is not trivial. Apparently there may be a cumulative loss of personnel time in the 20-40% range over the next 4-6 months and up to 15% of the those who are infected within the community might require hospitalization. It’s especially sobering to think of that many people getting that sick.

Edited to clarify the hospitalization estimate

Last edited:
I’m heading to New York for a conference on Saturday. Huge conference for Emergency Medicine Programs across the country. Hand sanitizer at the ready and lots of hand washing.

I’m heading to New York for a conference on Saturday. Huge conference for Emergency Medicine Programs across the country. Hand sanitizer at the ready and lots of hand washing.
If the city, mind the crazies, wash your hands often as possible, do not eat or drink on the subways/busses, and have a nice trip. If somewhere else in the state, enjoy the wine and have a nice trip.

I work at a mid-size CPA. My boss brought in huge bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes, and will be bringing in masks...for clients. We’re also asking clients to not come to the office if possible, and scan and upload docs to our secure server. That he is being so cautious since he is usually so pragmatic is cause for concern.

I have to pick up a bunch of docs at a client’s tomorrow AM...I have 1.5 gal bags to put them in. And I’m taking some of my soaping gloves in and will remove any staples and paper clips and microwave those puppies. I’m also taking in two dozen bars of soap for our bathrooms and kitchen since there is no evidence that ‘anti-bacterial’ soap works any better than regular soap and that crap dries my hands out.

Hubby is heading to the store to morrow to pick up some essentials. Not planning for the apocylpse, just in case anyone gets sick, so Kleenex, toilet paper, orange juice and soups.

There is no toilet paper in supermarkets in Australia (seriously!).
Protection.jpg

I brought a bunch of soap ends into the office since everyone is washing hands more. Great alternative to the soap in the dispenser and so far they have been using it.

Seriously and unscrupulously I am torn. If I had a mild case would I self isolate for two weeks and burn 80 hours of PTO? I use PTO for stuff I want to do and work sick. PTO is mental health, charter fishing with hubby and getting my garden in the week of Memorial Day.

I know this makes me a horrible person but I only get 4 weeks a year and to burn half of it watching Netflix freaks me out more than getting coronavirus.

There is no toilet paper in supermarkets in Australia (seriously!).
View attachment 44317
We needed toilet paper as there was only 2 rolls left, dh got some and then the next day nothing left on the shelf ( do they all think they are going to get diarrhoea ). No hand sanitizer either. On the news a medical person said that sanitizer won't do anything unless it has antibacterial or antimicrobal on the label. DH, was just in Aldi and the checkout operators are wearing gloves :rolleyes:. He was at Bunnings and a man asked if they had a filter (mask) that was cheaper than $54 :eek:. Maybe I could sell my soaping ones out front :D.

I brought a bunch of soap ends into the office since everyone is washing hands more. Great alternative to the soap in the dispenser and so far they have been using it.

Seriously and unscrupulously I am torn. If I had a mild case would I self isolate for two weeks and burn 80 hours of PTO? I use PTO for stuff I want to do and work sick. PTO is mental health, charter fishing with hubby and getting my garden in the week of Memorial Day.

But what about all the people who could get your mild case and end up in ICU or dead?

I'm sorry but it's that attitude of working when sick that has given me multiple hospital admissions and nearly killed my parents.

If you are self isolating it's for a good reason don't be so selfish.

I know this makes me a horrible person but I only get 4 weeks a year and to burn half of it watching Netflix freaks me out more than getting coronavirus.

We have proven cases of Co-Vid 19 here. Not just on the base that is quarantined. I, and my son, have compromised immune systems due to an abnormal protein in our blood. I am not travelling. My son is not travelling, but his husband is a flight attendant. My husband is travelling for work also. We're using good handwashing and lots of prayers. I am buying hand sanitizer gel base and I already have the alcohol.

@IwantItgreen The US CDC website provides a situation report on M,W,F mornings. It’s a good place to find verified information. They also provide guidance document for families, employers and schools. The resounding messages are the same as they are for the flu - wash your hands, cover your cough, and stay home when you’re sick. Limiting the spread will help to protect the most vulnerable.

Up-to-date statistics on the outbreak are available here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
You can learn about the group that provides these statistics using the “about” link at the bottom of their home page. They document the data sources further down on the statistics page.

I am personally not worried. I have a pretty healthy immune system, and the regular flu has killed more people globally than this virus has or will.
I was wrong. as of today, this virus has surpassed that of the regular flu in amount of cases worldwide, and I think maybe even deaths, so please disregard this part of this post.

However, I am still convinced that with a heightened awareness of good hygiene and a healthy immune system, people should be fine. It's the elderly and people with compromised immune systems that are most widely affected.

Although it has been a very long time since the USA has faced a pandemic, we have all heard about the AIDS Crises, the Spanish Flu, the Black Death. We know contagious disease can turn our world upside down, even if we are not in the high risk groups. I would feel better if our government was more farsighted and prepared, rather than flooding us with questionable reassurance.

Back